Decorating By luv2bake4u Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm by akgirl10

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:09am
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

For sheet cakes I'm going to torte I don't even bother with a 2" pan anymore. I'll bake them in a sheet tray, and use the whole layer, or cut it up. They bake faster, and more even than baking a 2" cake. The time saved is unbelieveable. It takes about twenty minutes to bake in a sheet pan. For the cake it takes over an hour in a 2"pan.

Mike

You mean like a jelly-roll pan? Not sure what a sheet tray is. This sounds promising...thanks for the info!

I use a 1/2 sheet 12x18. You could use a jelly roll pan

Mike

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:17pm
post #32 of 37

Okay, so now I'm confused icon_confused.gif What's a jelly-roll pan and why should I be using one to make sheet cakes? icon_lol.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:30pm
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

Okay, so now I'm confused icon_confused.gif What's a jelly-roll pan and why should I be using one to make sheet cakes? icon_lol.gif

In my understanding a jelly roll pan and a sheet pan are the same thing. I think that Jelly roll pan is just the term more likely used in homes. Sheet pan is the term more likely used by professionals or more serious home bakers. Anyone who has ever worked in a kitchen probably calls them sheet pans.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #34 of 37

I use the push down method. I just recently started this and boy oh boy, is it ever easier.

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 7:49pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

Once I figured out the flower nail 'trick', I stopped leveling my cakes. BUT, now I'm trying to figure out how to get the right sized teirs for SPS and I'm all screwed up! icon_confused.gif Does anyone know if I can buy a BIG leveler at HobbyLobby or Michaels? (Sorry to be a thread hijacker) icon_cool.gif

Yes you can buy a Wilton large leveler at Michael's, Jobby Lobby or JoAnn's. If I use the bake even strips, my cakes don't require leveling. But I defintely use a leveler otherwise.

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 7:50pm
post #36 of 37

Sorry - that should have been "H"obby Lobby

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #37 of 37

Just my 2 cents, wilton's large leveler is awful, don't even think of buying it! The blade is thin and easily bends and warps. I wouldn't even sell it in my garage sale.

Until I got my agbay (thanks DH) I used the wilton small cheapie one, and it worked decently. It's small though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%