Help Me Troubleshoot This Please!

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm by DeeDelightful

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:13am
post #31 of 35

Do you have to poke a hole in the cake too or does the dowel thread through it pretty easily? I've always wondered that when I read about people putting a hole in the cake board and threading the cake onto a central support of some sort.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:28pm
post #32 of 35

No I don't poke a hole in the cake too. Gravity and the weight of the tier makes it pretty easy to just slide the cake down onto the dowel.

As long as you've found the center of the cakeboard and cut a hole or an x in that then you're all set.

If you notice on a lot of the cake shows this is how they stack, except their center dowels are a lot thicker then what I use.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:41pm
post #33 of 35

Exactly why I asked the question! I've seen cake shows where they stack the cake like that and I always wondered how they did it. Thanks for expalining. Can you do this even if your cakes are covered in fondant? It just seems like the fondant would tear on top of the cake as the center dowel is passing through.
BTW, thanks for explaining so much to me. There are so many things that I don't know!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #34 of 35

Oh you're so welcome....believe me there's so much I don't know too, I learn so much on here every day.

Yes, this also works for fondant covered cakes. It sometimes tears the fondant a bit, but it's easy to patch and another plate/tier is going on top anyway.

I always cut my center dowel shorter then the height of the cake so that It doesn't poke through the top of the top tier.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Thanks for the info! So when you use the columns, do you use plastic plates under the cakes? If so, how do you stabilize the cakes? Can you use a central dowel?

Yes I use cakeboards under the cake and then that is placed on top of a plastic separator plate. ( you don't need to use the plastic plate but I do for stability, because the plastic plates have legs that snap into the pillars)

Here's what I do. When I purchase my separator plates I drill a hole in the middle of each one. I use my largest drill bit I believe it's 3/8".

Then once my first tier is placed on the board I hammer in my center dowel straight through the base....I then lower my separator plate down over the dowel and snap the pillars (that were placed in the bottom tier) into the bottom of the plate.

I use RI to attach the cake tier to the plastic separator plate and lower the tier down over the dowel in the same manner as I did the separator plate.

I just repeat this until the entire cake is stacked.

Note--- I also make sure to cut an x in the center of each cake board before I place the cake on it. This allows the center dowel to go through the board easier.

Now that sounds sturdier than any description i've ever read.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%