Torting Removed Pieces From Cake Layer - Help!

Decorating By babycakes1 Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 12:36am by pattycakesnj

babycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes1 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 7

Apparently my cake was still too warm when I started to "torte?" my cake (started sawing with that wire thing to make it appear flat) when all of a sudden big (and little) pieces separated from the main part of the cake. icon_surprised.gif

How do I fix it? Do I try to squish some pieces back in to make it appear closer to a normal cake? What happens when the birthday girl goes to cut it? Or do I just fill the gaps with icing? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

P.S. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post - I truly don't know what I'd do without this site!

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 7

if its not too bad, id do a repair job, stick it back together with a little bc. chances are no on will notice or think they got bonus filling.
if it is really falling apart, or is very crumbly, u may just need to rebake unfortunately.
(torting is when you split one sponge into layers - leveling is when you cut the top off to make it appear flat)
xx

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 7

depending of where they fell from and the size, you can stick them back on with frosting. If you are using the Wilton leveler, trash it, that may be your problem. I tort with dental floss. Use a serrated knife to cut in a little all around the cake and then put unwaxed dental floss thru the cut side and pull it thru the cake. Works like a charm. (I keep a roll of floss in my cak e tool box. Good luck and hth.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 7

I always chill my cake before I torte and when I use my leveler (not wilton but i think it's the same style - looks like a saw) I don't saw straight across, I go in a circle around the edge and gradually end up in the middle.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

If you are using the Wilton leveler, trash it, that may be your problem. I tort with dental floss. Use a serrated knife to cut in a little all around the cake and then put unwaxed dental floss thru the cut side and pull it thru the cake. Works like a charm. (I keep a roll of floss in my cak e tool box. Good luck and hth.

I think that the Wilton leveler works for some and doesn't work for others. I haven't had a single problem with it in about 10 years. Maybe it has to do with technique or cake texture.

Do you measure all around your cake and mark it somehow before cutting all around the cake? (Also, what do you mean by "thru the cut site" if you cut a little all around?) I want to try the dental floss method for cakes that I can't use the leveler for. (I just bought some 3" pans and have some large diameter pans that don't work with the Wilton leveler.)

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 7

DON'T TRASH IT!!! I have both the large (saw type) and small (wire) levelers and they work very well for me. I do suggest you make sure your cake is completely cooled or chilled before you attempt to tort or level. I tried torting with floss once and found that unless I pulled it perfectly straight/level thru the cake I had a problem. The wire leveler is really very easy to use. Please give it another try. It takes a little getting used to, like most things worth doing.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:36am
post #7 of 7

With the dental floss, you have to go all around the sides of the cake with a knife, really just scoring the outer edge of cake. Then you go back with the floss to the area you scored and pull it thru, holding the floss in each hand on either side of the cake. You do need to keep it fairly straight and try to come out the other side of the cake where you scored it. Hope that makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%