Airbrush Tye Dye Effect On Cake

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 1:23pm by Sara-belle

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 7

I need to airbrush the tye dye look of the 60's on a cake.Where do I start?What colors do I do first? Any help would be appreciated!

Laurel icon_wink.gif

6 replies
costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 7

Get some images of tie-dye and see what they look like. I'd think you would do the lighter colors first, then darker after that, or the lighter ones won't show up. Not that you probably didn't already think of that

tinygoose Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 7

I'd like to know too.

Denelly666 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 7

I do tie dye on buttercream. Is that what you are looking for? You ice the cake, then do concentric circles of color leaving a little white space between and then sort of drag the offset spatula through the colors from the inside out. You have to play with it a bit to realize what colors will look good. The best warning is not to use orange and purple together. When you drag the colors that ends up too brown and yucky. If you do shades of green, blue and yellow or another similar color "group" you will have more luck. I will look to see if I have any pictures of one I can post under my name.

ibmoser Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 7

We did tie dye in a Bronwen Weber airbrush class. Start with maybe 4 colors plus white. Spray circles of the first color in different sizes, randomly placed. Come back with the second color and spray a ring around the first circle, working close enough to get the true second color but far enough away for the two colors to blend a bit (real exact here, LOL). Ditto third color if you wish. Then fill in the background - dual action brush is good here because you can lighten up on the pigment for better shading and filling. Then come back with white and make crosses of two or three "strikes" across each circle and then give a light spray of white over the entire surface. The attached photo is someone else's work that I pulled out of the trash icon_redface.gif . I threw mine away before getting a photo, and someone dumped coffee on mine, sooooooo I went dumpster diving for a sample icon_lol.gif ....

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 7

Oh I like that ibmoser.....I may try that!!!!Thankyou sooo much!!!!

Sara-belle Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 7

I was asked to put tie dye on a cake.. my first thought.. was to use a white ganache, take bowls and color a bunch of different colors them pour them strategically over a light coating of white, then run a knife or toothpick to swirl while the ganache is still warm.. I'm hoping it works! Trying it tonight icon_biggrin.gif
I'm going to airbrush a black outline of jimmy Hendrix on top of the tie dye..

Quote by @%username% on %date%