Wedding Assocations

Business By tarheelgirl Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 3:24am by indydebi

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 10

I have been invited to a meeting for our local association. Thought I would go check it out and if it seems beneficial maybe join for the year. I'm sure its a great networking tool. For those of you who are part of one does it benefit your business? Or is it a waste of time?

9 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 10

Hmmm, I think it is best to ask around about the association from other vendors, members and non-members. The asociation they have here has some very reputable vendors and some not so reputable vendors. I know of some very reputable vendors who will not join the association here for various reasons. Just do your research and see what works best for you. Some bride's like seeing a vendor as part of the Bridal Association, some could careless. I had a problem with one vendor that was a part of the association when I was a bride. The association contacted me and then didn't do anything. But another vendor that is part of the same asociation, I have used more then once. So it just depends.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 10

I'm on the board of our local association, and I think it's a really good way to get to know a lot of vendors. Networking is the best way to get referrals, other than word of mouth. It definitely won't hurt for you to go and see what it's all about. There's no better way to get the inside scoop on other vendors and their reputations than by listening to the gossip that goes around in these organizations. It's amazing sometimes. I listen to everything and keep my mouth shut, but it's certainly eye-opening what you learn.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 10

Heck, just talking to vendors in general can be eye-opening. And yup, just listen.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 10

highly recommend it.

tarheelgirl Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:28am
post #6 of 10

Sounds beneficial! I may not join this time but will definitely go to check it out.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 10

I'm a founding members and still an officer/board member of my local associaton. We are highly selective for our membership. No one can just "join". To become a member of our association you have to be nominated by a member, make application, submit references which are thoroughly checked and then you are invited to come to a meeting. Also, for most of the major categories of wedding services, members are exclusive. I'm the only cake designer that will be in the association. Until I leave, no one else can even apply in that category.

We currently have over 50 members (not all categories are exclusive. About half are.) and yes, being a member of this particular association is extremely beneficial.

It all depends on how things are organized and the reps of the members.

As an organization we have had to remove a few members (seriously unfun) and had to solve a few internal problems. Our president is a no-nonsense kind of guy and if a member needs a "talking to" it gets done and we move on.

I'm just saying that different organizations are stronger or weaker based on how they are organized, the general membership and most of all the officers.

All things being equal, networking is always good,

tarheelgirl Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 10

Leah_s, from what I hear this one is not even going to touch how strong of an association you are a member of. I know for a fact they have about 4 or 5 bakers as members and about 4 that are not. They did send an invitation for me to come to the next meeting so maybe they are looking for new members. Regardless of joining or not.. I truly believe that networking is beneficial!!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #9 of 10

I've never heard of a wedding association.

How do I find out if my medium-sized city has one? I googled 'roanoke wedding association' but all that came up was planners & venues

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:24am
post #10 of 10

PWG (Professional Wedding Guide) is one such networking group. Talk to other wedding vendors to see if they know of one. I am/was a member of one that just formed a few months ago. Some vendors got together and decided to create one so if you can't find one.....start one! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%