Where To Buy Dowels???

Decorating By nanascakes Updated 9 Jan 2010 , 11:02am by FleurDeCake

nanascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanascakes Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:42am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know where to get the cardboard dowels Tonedna uses on her Youtube tutorial about stacking tiers? They look like they would be so much easier to cut than the plastic ones.

5 replies
LyndaOlsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LyndaOlsen Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:43am
post #2 of 6

Hi Nanas Cakes, I too am a My Nana's Cakes which was named by my grandchildren.

Anyway to answer your question. I use straws for support. They are cheap, easy to cut, easy to remove and hold up just about anything. The larger the straw of course the better.

If the cake is large and needs more support I use the plastic ones. I've never seen any in cardboard.

If you're really set on cardboard, I have a resource that I could check for you. Just let me know.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:01am
post #3 of 6

..moving to Cake Decorating. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:02am
post #4 of 6

..moving to Cake Decorating. icon_smile.gif

LyndaOlsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LyndaOlsen Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:23am
post #5 of 6

Below is the only reference I could find regarding using cardboard dowels in a cake.

In the example below, they used cardboard dowels purchased from a CRAFT STORE. Since they are not specifically made to be placed in an edible product (cake), I personally would not use them. You have no idea what bi-products went into making the dowels.

http://www.easy-birthday-cakes.com/1st-birthday-cake.html

Tomorrow, I will call the person I take classes from. If she is familiar with cardboard dowels and knows where they can be purchased I'll get back to you.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:02am
post #6 of 6

why dont you just pm tonedna andd ask her where to buy them, she is always very willing to share and offer help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%