Clay Extruder Help Please!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By ccc1234 Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 2:13am by ccc1234

ccc1234 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:17am
post #1 of 10

I purchased a clay extruder from Michaels so that I can work on gumpaste and fondant and I about broke my fingers trying to work it. I put the fondant in the microwave for a little bit to make it smooth and it realy didnt help. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! TFL

9 replies
chefjulie Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:25am
post #2 of 10

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, the Makins green clay extruder is the way to go! It's pretty inexpensive, especially with a 40% off coupon. Out of desperation, I bought a cheap silver one from Michael's once (I was doing an OOT cake and there was no HL near me) and it was AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teekakes Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:27am
post #3 of 10

Put a nice coating of solid crisco on your fondant/gumpaste before you put it in the tube. Rub a light coating on the inside of the tube too. Makes it so much easier to squeeze it through. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:28am
post #4 of 10

I have the green Makins extruder too and it's great.

You can work some crisco into the fondant to make it easier to push through the extruder that you have, if you need to.

Hobby Lobby is selling online now too.

Renaejrk Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:29am
post #5 of 10

Definitely have to add a bit of crisco/shortening so it is pliable enough to push through.

cdavis Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #6 of 10

I have the Makins and use the crisco and warm it or knead it really well before I push it through. It helps tremendously. It gets easier everytime I do it so I think it's just something you develop a feel for.

DerrellC Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:37am
post #7 of 10

Crazy, but Michels carry the Makins discs but NOT the extruder !! A little Crisco is the answer.

mad-house-mum Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #8 of 10

i added crisco to mine but it is comeing out with rough edges not smooth any ideas plz x

luvmysmoother Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:23am
post #9 of 10

Yes I also have the cheap silver one (was looking for the green Makins but Michaels didn't have it - like the pp - only saw the discs but no extruder - so the first time I ended up almost blistering my fingers trying to push the fondant through. Then on cc I realized I had to add LOTS of crisco and nuke it until it was soft as bubble gum and even with the cheapo silver one the fondant just zooms through nice and easy. Have to work fast though because as soon as the fondant cools it becomes very hard to work with againicon_smile.gif

ccc1234 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:13am
post #10 of 10

Thank u everyone for ur help, I just got the Makins extruder n cnt wait to try it icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%