How To Make This Cake More Exciting...

Decorating By ZoesMum Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 2:20am by ZoesMum

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:10am
post #1 of 13

Hello all...I am looking for your creative input! This cake looked much more exciting in my head, and I find that the final product was "dry". I'm learning at this point, so would appreciate some feedback on what would have given it more "pop"...made it overall more interesting. Should I have added bunches of things at the junction of each layer? Any other thoughts would be much appreciated. TIA!!
LL

12 replies
BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:17am
post #2 of 13

Really pretty!! I like it the way it is...because sometimes simple is better...
But if you want you can add some fondant ribbon to the bow on top, like some ribbons flowing down. Hmmm...and maybe add some simple fondant ornaments?

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #3 of 13

It's very pretty! Maybe add some bows to the bottom 2 packages...not the same as the top bow...maybe a different type of bow for each package. Then maybe some gift tags on each package.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #4 of 13

I agree with PP. It's looks great now, REALLY. The ONLY thing I could see doing now is spicing up the bow a bit. My initial thought was adding a gold stripe down each loop, but that's a bit hard to do after the fact, lol. Maybe adding some gold fondant curly-ques sticking out of it?

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:42am
post #5 of 13

I think it is a beautiful cake but I think what is is missing some sort of connection between the tiers. I know they are supposed to each look different but I think there should be some element that ties them together or at least transitions from one to the other. i.e. the bow is red and there are red berries on the holly on the next tier - and the green from the holly tier kinda flows to the green in the middle tier and then you get to the bottom and there is no connection to the middle tier............. I dunno does that make sense to any one else? Beautiful cake though I just think it's kinda hard for the eye to follow.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #6 of 13

it is really pretty... maybe put some kind of design on the white top to go with all the colors so far.. then maybe a different style bow to the right of the second tier.. and another different style bow to the left of the bottom tier... on top.. but again, you did a very pretty job...

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:08am
post #7 of 13

That makes perfect sense, cdavis. I was thinking the exact same thing. One thought I had was to add a gold rope to each tier at the point where it changes color.

So, on the bottom tier, have a gold rope run along where the red meets the white. On the second tier, have a gold rope (maybe a slightly different kind) run around the tier where the green bottom meets the gold top. On the third tier have a third type of gold rope run around where the white bottom meets teh green top.

This will tie all three tiers together...or some other idea like that that adds a unifying element to all three tiers. Hope this makes sense.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:23am
post #8 of 13

..moving to Cake Ideas forum. icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 13

I left you a comment on this cake because I thought it was just about perfect. There's a different pattern on each box for interest/contrast, your bow has texture and is just beautiful, and the surface (sheen) on the packages is just right.
I wouldn't change a thing.
Wish I had a cake that nice in my portfolio!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 13

It's perfect and gorgeous as isicon_smile.gif I personally wouldn't touch it but if you really needed to add extra to it - maybe ball ornaments on the cakeboard or even on the bottom cake tier...but the cake doesn't need it...

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #11 of 13

I was going to post the exact same thing as luvmysmoother

That's all it needs, lovely cake.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:25pm
post #12 of 13

I would leave it as it is. I think it is perfect. What an amazing job you did. I like the ornament idea for the cake board idea. but the cake is perfect.

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #13 of 13

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas (and compliments!). I think cdavis nailed it with regards to what was bugging me...the lack of connection between the top two and the bottom tier - it just didn't seem to go. Plus I love all the ideas of extra bows, added embellishment to the lids, ornaments on the cake board...all good! I wish I had had time to post this before we ate it!!!! But this is a great way to learn for next time...thanks again everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%