Cupcake Weights?

Baking By kathy164 Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 5:54am by kathy164

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 10

I have been searching on here for over an hour now with no luck. Hopefully someone might know. I am trying to find out how much cupcakes weigh.
I know we cant say every single one weighs such an amount. but what are the usual ballpark weights for a Large Cupcake, a standard cupcake, and a mini cupcake? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you very much!

9 replies
sweetsbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyjen Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 10

I think thats difficult to determine because there are so many factors that effect the weight. One, is it box mix or scratch, box mix is definitly lighter. Filled or un-filled? How much icing do you plan on putting on them, and what kind of icing will your be using, whipped cream, merignue, buttercream ganache.

They all alter the weight. I think you need to make some batches of cupcakes and weigh them on a food scale. Then you will definitly know how much YOUR cupcakes weigh. HTH

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 1:36am
post #3 of 10

mmm what is the purpose of knowing the weight?

Mostly cupcakes are known by their case size and that is shown as the diameter of the base by the height of the wall.

You might do better looking at a diet website like www.calorieking.com and type in cupcake into their food search - it brings up about 50 different types/brands etc and when you click on them - it comes up with weight
BUT this is only somebody else's calculations - really does depend on WHY you are needing the weight

kathy164 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #4 of 10

Thank you. I actually have had two inquiries now about customers looking for about a 2 ounce cupcake. and the other wanted to know how much my regular cupcakes weigh. aprox what ounce they are. They are both local customers. Different contact names, numbers, so not sure if they might be two people from the same place looking for the info. They want to add 2ounce cupcakes into their shop for sale. Is that the normal cupcake weight or the smaller mini ones?? Not sure so thought I would ask and also to see if there were approximations on the weights. Thank you all for your help.

kathy164 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 10

hmmm. noone knows any weights?? How about an idea on how to weigh them?? Should I weigh them before or after baking? Just wondering and thank you!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 10

Ask the person that is wanting them icon_biggrin.gif Do they want the weight after cooking? (I suspect this is the correct answer but ONLY they will be able to answer this definitavely for you)

Pop them on a scale and see what they weigh???

Sorry - don't understand what you are expecting from CC members
First answer to your query (sweetsbyjen) says it all

kathy164 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 10

I will do just that. I thank you all for your help.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 10

maybe its called a 2oz cupcake because you use a 2oz scoop to put the batter in. I know the bakery ive worked at weighs all the batter into their pans, and cupcakes are scooped.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:04am
post #9 of 10

My guess is they mean 2 volume ounces. Like instead of saying "mini" or "regular"

Well I just checked and 2 volume ounces isn't the full size of any standard or mini cupcake liner... but it is about the batter amount for the standard. HTH.

kathy164 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 5:54am
post #10 of 10

Thank you! Yes. that all helps a great deal. I appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%