How To Stack Cakes?

Decorating By misscrosson Updated 9 Jan 2010 , 2:09am by Texas_Rose

misscrosson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misscrosson Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:59am
post #1 of 5

So, my pans are only 3inches deep... I'm making a 2 tier cake, but each layer seems too short to only be 3 inches each. How do I go about layering the cakes? What is best to fill inbetween the cakes?

Will it be fine to fondant these cakes layers together after?

Sorry for all my questions everyone!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #2 of 5

Bake two layers for each tier. You can fill them with lots of different things, but the easiest would be some buttercream. Pipe a ring around the layer about 1/2" from the edge, then fill the ring with frosting. Set the other layer on top, wrap the whole thing up in plastic wrap and then let it settle for a couple of hours or overnight. Then crumbcoat, chill if you're going to (I always do) and cover with fondant.

Letting the cake settle will help prevent a bulge around the middle of the cake.

I always bake in the 3" deep pans but I use two layers. Most of the time, after my cakes are leveled and filled, my tiers are between 4" and 5" tall.

Don't try to cover both tiers with fondant at the same time. Cover with fondant, dowel the bottom tier and then stack them. I use the hollow plastic dowels that Wilton makes because they're easier to cut and sturdier than using wooden dowels.

misscrosson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misscrosson Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 1:54am
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much!! I actually only have the wood dowels, so I'm hoping those will work fine.

What's the best way to level the cake? Just doing it by eye?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:05am
post #4 of 5

go to designmeacake.com... edna on this site.. shows how to make b/c .. stack cakes..etc.. please see it.. it is great..

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:09am
post #5 of 5

This is what I use to level the cake: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D67E-475A-BAC0-5792C543763E855E I can't level a cake using a knife, no matter how hard I try, I end up with a slant to it.

The wood dowels work fine, just harder to cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%