Clay Molds

Decorating By marzipandoll Updated 9 Jan 2010 , 11:04pm by Lcubed82

marzipandoll Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 20

Dominic! I e-mailed you but I figured maybe somebody else was wondering, or having great ideas. I hope this is not too much of a silly question.
Soooo I found this BEAUTIFUL mold. It says polymer clay. I need to find a way to turn this into a food grade mold. And if all else fails I was thinking, make the figure and then make a whole new (food grade) mold of that all over, but for now is there a way to put something on this mold, something to make it safe. I don't know I am hoping to get an answer like, SURE, GO TO MY WEBSITE AND LOOK FOR "SAFENIZER", BUY THE 1 LB PACKAGE, JUST BRUSH IT ON YOUR MOLD.....hahahaha ok I quit being a nonsense, but Dominic you did this to me! icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
MYOM-Dominic Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 20

Hi Alexandra,

I've got the answer for you----it's easy! So, the mold was made for polymer clay, right? Well, they make polymer clay that is non-toxic -- its called Super Sculpey. Just buy some of this, press it into your mold and bake it according to the instructions. Then when you have the hard casting made from polymer clay, you can use one of my silicones to make a food grade mold for food.

What Do You Think?

Dominic icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 20

I am going to agree with Dominic. And I will add this. Dominic Silicone is pliable, and things unmold easier than a hard cast mold. So if I had to choose between one and the other I would go for the pliable one.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

marzipandoll Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 20

Hahahah just what I thought. No easy way out! I get to do more molds!
I walk around looking at things like...that would be nice to make a mold of...

marzipandoll Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 20

Ok I am talking about an 8 and a 9" doll here. 1 lb sculpey would be enough then? And do we prefer the firm one? I would guess that's better for us than the flexible, right???

MYOM-Dominic Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 20

Marzipandoll - I think one pound will be enough and I agree that you should go with the hard polymer clay which will make a better model when making your mold. By the way your Mold Making Madness is starting to show. Girl, you've got it bad. And I don't mind saying I am happy to have given it to you. HaHa!

Tonenda - Glad to here from you - I finally understand your question about making a mold of the inside of an orchid. I do think that the silicone plastique can work very well. You may want to pack the silicone plastique thickly around the cone-like center. When the mold is cured, you can cut the mold in half with an exacto knife and use it as a two part press mold to reproduce the center and not distort it when unmolding.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOM-Dominic

Marzipandoll - I think one pound will be enough and I agree that you should go with the hard polymer clay which will make a better model when making your mold. By the way your Mold Making Madness is starting to show. Girl, you've got it bad. And I don't mind saying I am happy to have given it to you. HaHa!

Tonenda - Glad to here from you - I finally understand your question about making a mold of the inside of an orchid. I do think that the silicone plastique can work very well. You may want to pack the silicone plastique thickly around the cone-like center. When the mold is cured, you can cut the mold in half with an exacto knife and use it as a two part press mold to reproduce the center and not distort it when unmolding.

Dominic icon_smile.gif




I did a trial with a small one and it does work. But since is was a tiny Orchid is more difficult to get the gumpaste out. But IT DOES WORK!.
The center is hard enough to hold the shape!
Edna icon_smile.gif

MYOM-Dominic Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 20

Edna,

Try cutting the little mold in half. You can press both sides of the mold with gumpaste and then assemble to mold so you can join the two gumpaste halves perfectly. When unmolding, you can take each side of the mold off which will be gentler on the gumpaste inside the mold.

Dominic

tonedna Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:19am
post #9 of 20

I will try that. I never thought that that could be done!..Dominic your product is awesome!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

marzipandoll Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:18am
post #10 of 20

Ok Dominic! Since you admit you gave me the madness I won't feel bad bugging you with 500 questions a day! I will go ahead and buy those molds and the clay and when everything is here you know I will find you! Muahahah (evil laugh).

tonedna Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzipandoll

Ok Dominic! Since you admit you gave me the madness I won't feel bad bugging you with 500 questions a day! I will go ahead and buy those molds and the clay and when everything is here you know I will find you! Muahahah (evil laugh).




icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

marzipandoll Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:22am
post #12 of 20

Like I said more questions... icon_twisted.gif

I found these 3
*Super Sculpey FIRM Sculpting Compound Clay 1 Lb Pound
*NEW Super Sculpey FIRM 1 lb GRAY Sculpting POLYMER CLAY
*SUPER SCULPEY Firm Gray Sculpting Compound - 1 POUND
They are between $10-$16
Which one do I get?
They are all oven bake clays.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #13 of 20

What is important is that you get the kind that is non-toxic. Polymer Clay can be very toxic and only in the past few years have they come out with non-toxic clay. Read the label for notices indicating that it is non-toxic.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:59pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzipandoll

Ok Dominic! Since you admit you gave me the madness I won't feel bad bugging you with 500 questions a day! I will go ahead and buy those molds and the clay and when everything is here you know I will find you! Muahahah (evil laugh).




Ask away - teaching and answering questions is something I really like to do. Oh, and your evil laugh is greatly appreciated - you can't stump me - bring it on, Marzipandoll!

Dominic icon_biggrin.gif

marzipandoll Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #15 of 20

Heheeh so I don't have to change my username to STALKER!
I am off to check those clays again and ask seller the question. thumbs_up.gif

Lcubed82 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 20

Why do you need to make a mold to make a mold? Are the sculpy molds toxic? I know the clay can be. I was looking at molds at HL the other day- why should I not use them, if I wash them well, etc, before use?

marzipandoll Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:54pm
post #17 of 20

Linda- the mold I am looking at is only for polymer clay, sculpting. No liquids and a pourable materials, it's a press mold. I am interested in making a food grade mold. A silicon mold, one that's flexible, one I can use for fondant, gum paste and chocolate too and more. One I can just put my material in and stick it in the freezer then my ready product pops out and I don't have to worry about it being edible or not really.

Dominic-They are non-toxic so I go ahead and buy my 1 lb pack!
I am getting excited about this new project! icon_razz.gif

MYOM-Dominic Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

Why do you need to make a mold to make a mold? Are the sculpy molds toxic? I know the clay can be. I was looking at molds at HL the other day- why should I not use them, if I wash them well, etc, before use?




Icubed82 - When making a food object that someone may eat, you have to consider safety. A polymer clay mold may be made out of a material that is just fine for crafts, yet does not comply with the code of federal regulations established by the FDA when making food. Certain materials can leach undesirable compounds into a food product that would not be considered healthy or safe, especially when it comes to children possibly eating the object that came out of the mold in question. Just look at all the information about lead in paint, plastics unsuitable for food storage and microwave use, rubber nipples for baby bottles. Marzipandoll is just taking the necessary precautions so she can use her mold, confidently assured that she is presenting something that complies with food guidelines.

Hope This Helps,
Dominic icon_smile.gif

marzipandoll Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #19 of 20

Dominic you said that so much cooler! icon_wink.gif

Lcubed82 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:04pm
post #20 of 20

Just wondering! Thanks for the info. So not all soft silicone push molds are created equal I guess. So much to learn!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%