What To Use To Steam Fondant?

Decorating By luvscakes Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 3:01am by pattycakesnj

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 10

Hi!

I'm thinking I may be investing in something to help me steam my fodnat- does anyone have any ideas on what would work best?

Thanks!

9 replies
Liz23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz23 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 10

A small clothes steamer works great. I found one at Tuesday Morning for less than $20.

FiveRushings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FiveRushings Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 10

Can you explain what steaming fondant does? Never heard of it...

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 10

They have a small clothes steamer at Sams too. I thought about buying it for steaming when I passed it the other day. I know Buddy (Cake Boss) uses a clothes steamer & I've heard others mention one too.

Steaming 1) Gets rid of any cornstarch or powdered sugar residue 2) Makes it shiney

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 10

I use a Steam Buddy clothes steamer from Walgreens. It was about $10-15 maybe.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 10

many people just use the steam from a tea kettle, that might be the cheapest option if you have one at home.

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #7 of 10

Yea I never steamed yet but I want to. Why am I chicken then? I am afraid of ruining the cake. Is there any NO NOs with steaming?

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:41am
post #8 of 10

I tried steaming with my iron once. It didn't go so well. As it turns out, when you are going to do the back of the cake, you can't turn the iron upside down as it will dump water onto the cake. Ooops! I'm thinking about getting a clothes steamer now.

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:45am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

I tried steaming with my iron once. It didn't go so well. As it turns out, when you are going to do the back of the cake, you can't turn the iron upside down as it will dump water onto the cake. Ooops! I'm thinking about getting a clothes steamer now.

LOL sorry that made me giggle. Exactly the type of thing I am afraid of. So that's a #1 for NO NOs. - No iron!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:01am
post #10 of 10

I use a clothes steamer too. Tried the tea kettle and almost burned my fingers off. Clothes steamer is safer, though be careful that it doesn't spit water out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%