Sps Questions!!

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 9 Jan 2010 , 3:44pm by onlymadaresane

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 7

stacked cake. I've used SPS before. A friend and I did her son's gargantuan BDay cake and we used the SPS size that went with the size of the cake she baked. IE so a 10" SPS for a 10" cake. When stacked....you could see the edges of the SPS...had to improvise a border to cover. I want a tiny border...

So- should I use a 9" SPS for a 10" cake? Or would it not support right?? OR was there some other underlying issue that made us see the edge of the SPS?

Thanks!!

6 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 7

Yes...9 inch fine.

I use a 10" plate for a 10" cake. But I use foam core, and cut my foam core from the SPS plate size (in other words, I trace around the SPS plate and cut the circle out of that), so I never ever have anything showing...as it is always without fail, the exact same size as that SPS plate.

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 7

I once had to use a six inch sps plate for an 8 inch cake. I didn't have an eight inch available for use. I was a bit worried to do this but I really didn't want to measure dowles. I drove it and it was fine. Best of all there was no edge showing.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #4 of 7

Thank you for asking this. I have been wondering this also (about to use SPS for the first time). Jamie, please elaborate on how you don't get an edge showing?? Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:59am
post #5 of 7

If fondant...no plate showing anyways, fondant is hiding it. I forgot about BC method. I ice on another board that is slightly larger than the cake circle. I ice to the shape of that board, meaning my bench scraper is following the line of the larger circle. Once it I am done, it goes in the fridge to set up nice and firm, I then take it out, pop it off that larger board....and there ya go! The original board you put your cake on (the one you traced from the SPS plate) is now hidden within that icing. No border. At all. I hope that makes sense...gotta go now, mucho decorating to do.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for elaborating thumbs_up.gif

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 7

We never used a cake board between the cake and the sps. Totally makes sense! DURH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%