How Do Hobby Bakers Afford To Keep Up Thier Hobby

Decorating By JuJu23 Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 1:27am by just_for_fun

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #31 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

If you want to practice a new technique cake dummies are alot more affordable

I also thought of going this route, but I decided that for learning purposes it was best to deal with the challenges of real cake/filling/icing etc.

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:55pm
post #32 of 82

I have thought about the dummies, and I do plan to get some eventually.

Part of my problem area though is when I torte, fill and stack my cakes.... I don't always get them stacked straight enough and sometimes they then lean or have other issues.

So I need to be able to practice that as well. I need to get straighter cuts when I torte. Plus the last time I did this I used a dab of food coloring to put a line down the side of the cake after I cut it, but before taking off the top part. then after I filled it I made sure my line lined back up when I stacked it. That helped.

But it is an area that I am still practicing where dummies wouldn't really work.

nellie0228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nellie0228 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:10am
post #33 of 82

Like others I used birthday money and christmas money for my cake stuff. I bake cakes for just about our entire family now, but if they want something over the top I will usually just tell them it is our gift or have them cover the cost of ingredients.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #34 of 82

I decorate cakes about once a month, I guess - sometimes more often. They are mostly done for faculty parties where everyone has to take something to share. Now everyone expects a cake from me. It gives me an excuse to try new things. I also sometimes offer to make one for a baby or wedding shower or a birthday or other celebration and that becomes my contribution. No one has every asked me to make one for them for free, but plenty of people have said they'd pay me to make one. I alway decline, explaining that I don't have a license. Some people are a little miffed. Sometimes, for something fairly simple (which would still take me hours) I offer to teach them some basics so they can do it themselves. No takers on that.

It does get a little expensive, but I figure that at least I make food that peple can eat. My husband has recently taken up carving and spends a bloody fortune on equipment. Funny - I thought all you neede was a knife!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:26am
post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

My husband's hobby is horses, and yes, he does sell some, but still they are a very expensive hobby-much more than caking.

He he. This is my justification too. When my hubby spends $800 on car parts for hobby cars, I don't feel bad spending $50 on a new cake thing.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:31am
post #36 of 82

I make a cake..that justify the need for a new toy..But I think I should get into a mental facility cause
I do have a real addiction to buy cake stuff. NO OTHER REASON THAT CAUSE I WANT MORE!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:53am
post #37 of 82

My husband fishes and I cake. He never has to justify his hobby and he spends WAY more than I do. I have yet to eat a fish he caught but he sure eats my cakes. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:56am
post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I make a cake..that justify the need for a new toy..But I think I should get into a mental facility cause
I do have a real addiction to buy cake stuff. NO OTHER REASON THAT CAUSE I WANT MORE!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Yikes, you think we need help???!! at least you have a business, but this is my hobby and I've accumulated so much cake stuff that I sometimes forget what I have and end up buying them again....I do need help icon_cry.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:10am
post #39 of 82

hahaha I do this as a hobby and just last weekend my husband was talking about remodeling my kitchen so I would have some place to store all my cake stuff hehehehe.......I went to target and bought a small wicker stand with drawers and bingo, stuff a little organized, until I buy more hehehe.....and I agree with Mike most hobbies are expensive. My son paints landscapes etc that stuff is really expensive. I got dummies to practice because we are all getting fat.

tonedna Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:12am
post #40 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Yikes, you think we need help???!! at least you have a business, but this is my hobby and I've accumulated so much cake stuff that I sometimes forget what I have and end up buying them again....I do need help icon_cry.gif

I don't own a business..lol. I actually have more stuff than the owner of the store owns! I became a supplier!.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:17am
post #41 of 82

I bake for my relatives as a gift. When they ask me for a cake for one of their friends, they buy the ingredients. I pick the design. If someone brings me a photo of a cake and wants to buy ingredients so I can make it for them, I'm too busy icon_biggrin.gif

When someone buys the ingredients for me, my ingredient amount usually includes a couple bottles of Americolor or a jar of Tylose or a new cutter that I need. They're still getting a bargain...the cake in my avatar photo was done for $40 worth of ingredients and the zebra one in my photos was also done for $40.

My husband's hobby is drawing...he buys a pack of printer paper and some pens a couple times a year and that's it. So I can't justify hobby expenses that way.

Most years when we get our tax refund, I have a small list of luxury cake items I need. This year we're getting a house, so my cake item for the year is going to be a better kitchen (instead of the airbrush I was wanting) but it's all good icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:30am
post #42 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I bake for my relatives as a gift. When they ask me for a cake for one of their friends, they buy the ingredients. I pick the design. If someone brings me a photo of a cake and wants to buy ingredients so I can make it for them, I'm too busy icon_biggrin.gif

When someone buys the ingredients for me, my ingredient amount usually includes a couple bottles of Americolor or a jar of Tylose or a new cutter that I need. They're still getting a bargain...the cake in my avatar photo was done for $40 worth of ingredients and the zebra one in my photos was also done for $40.

My husband's hobby is drawing...he buys a pack of printer paper and some pens a couple times a year and that's it. So I can't justify hobby expenses that way.

Most years when we get our tax refund, I have a small list of luxury cake items I need. This year we're getting a house, so my cake item for the year is going to be a better kitchen (instead of the airbrush I was wanting) but it's all good icon_biggrin.gif

Let me see an air brush or a new house and great kitchen hmmmmm I just can't decide hahaha........congrats on that!!!!

CakesByDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByDay Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:13am
post #43 of 82
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I don't own a business..lol. I actually have more stuff than the owner of the store owns! I became a supplier!.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I feel the same way!!! I am always in D and G buying stuff, even when it's not for a cake that I am making. I actually saw you, Edna, there and was dying to say hi but you where on your phone and I didn't want to bother you.

Are there any meetings for "cake addictions"? cause I know I need one,lol

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:15am
post #44 of 82

I started out just so I could make better birthday cakes for my kids . Also make cupcakes and cookies alot for the neighborhood events,kids school events,bake sale fundraising events.

I have a special needs son and so there is a long list of people I like to give treats to, bus driver and assistant, teacher and paras,speech,ot,pt therapists, Child care staff for all they do for him and the other children,horse thereapy volunteers,doctors,baby sitters,neighbors,friends,food days at work. So these alone give me lots of practice.

In my state we can sell a cake but we can't advertise. I have baked a bit for friends but only charge a bit over the expenses which may allow me to buy or save to buy my next cake toy.

The 40% coupons at Michaels,Joanns in the paper or on line allow me to get a good price. I usually have a list of the next Items I want to get. I have traded baking a cake for child care too. I also find that I would rather get a new cake item then a pair of shoes or a new outfit.

Pretty soon I have to shop for clothes,it's been a while and they are looking shabby while I stocked up on my cake supplies,,,lol....

tonedna Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:23am
post #45 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByDay

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I feel the same way!!! I am always in D and G buying stuff, even when it's not for a cake that I am making. I actually saw you, Edna, there and was dying to say hi but you where on your phone and I didn't want to bother you.

Are there any meetings for "cake addictions"? cause I know I need one,lol

REALLY!..Next time say hi!...I love D & G!..lol That day I was on the phone
it was cause my car battery died! So I was stuck there until my husband came.
One of my cake friends call and was asking me to get her some things from there. But next time, say hi!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

JuJu23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuJu23 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:25pm
post #46 of 82

what a great idea... I love that. I could totally do that stuff. I love to bake and find myself for no reason looking through my cupboards. The husband has a jeep and is constantly buying stuff for that so i justify it that way. It does get expensive.

Ive seen a lot of people on here talk about some stores that ive never heard of buy i do have a GFS here... what is GFS good for? Ive heard of bettercreme but not quite sure what it is. What do you buy at GFS?

JuJu23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuJu23 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #47 of 82

ps... im still trying to get the hang of quoting people, so i apologize for the two times i thought i was doing it right but really had no clue icon_redface.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:39pm
post #48 of 82

Repeat after me "I'm a cake toy junkie, I'm a cake toy junkie"!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:41pm
post #49 of 82

Okay, tiggy2
My name is Helen, and I am a cake toy junkie.

When is our next meeting?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #50 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu23

I guess i was looking more for when random people who are friends of friends ask you to do something for them and you know its going to cost a lot of money, do you do for free? Or do you turn them down and say no but thank you.

Do i eventually want to start my own business yes... i'm just trying to feel people out. I will make cakes for family and friends as my gift and i dont want to turn people down who ask outside of this circle, but sometimes its so expensive when someone wants Sugar Diamonds icon_smile.gif What do you do?

To answer your first and then this question... I am a hobby baker. As someone else mentioned, most hobbies are expensive (I was into beading for a few years as well, i knit, and am an avid gardener as well - all not cheap hobbies!) I make a bit of money baby-sitting, and that money does not go into the household budget. With that, I fund any of my ventures. As well, my husband knows to ask what I'd like to have for Christmas, birthday, etc. He's the best!

As to random people who are friends who ask for cakes? For the most part, they don't. I've been very fortunate not to have friends or family who simply "expect" a cake because it's what I do. Do I volunteer one as often as I possibly can. Yes! Sometimes, when I volunteer a cake they have specific ideas as to what they'd like (so I finad a way to make them their sugar diamonds because I asked them what they wanted,) other times I have creative license. It works for me. As well, I know from what is quoted on here as prices charged, I'm giving them something far more valuable than a gift card, piece of clothing or some other item that I would have chosen otherwise.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:17pm
post #51 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

hello tiggy, hello helen, hello edna, I am a cake toy junkie. Meeting may now come to order. icon_lol.gif

Actually, my husband built me a special craft room for my cake toys. I loftily call it my "studio."

For Christmas, he gave me a complete airbrush set, a duplicate beater for my KA, a stress relief mat, etc., etc., etc., I can't even say that he has a hobby... just a very sweet, loving man who supports my addiction. I guess he's an enabler. icon_biggrin.gif

verisimilitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verisimilitude Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:24pm
post #52 of 82

If I offer to make someone a cake, I do it for free. When family ask, I usually ask for $50 to cover ingredients plus any new bits and pieces I might need. It's win/win - they get a cake, I get to experiment and build up my decorating supplies.

I also look out for used supplies on ebay and at garage sales. Just today I got 3 cake decorating books (one of them by Debbie Brown) in perfect condition at a garage sale for $2! I'm still excited about that find icon_smile.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:26pm
post #53 of 82

Like someone said "old and wealthy"....well maybe not so wealthy but well off enough. I do charge for my supplies if someone wants a specialty cake. I don't do that many cakes anymore. I would do them for showers or special occasions at work and birthdays too. Now if my sisters want cakes for birthdays or whatever then I do charge them. I am not a charity to give away stuff for free. I do not advertise though either..

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #54 of 82

I'm a hobby baker too! I make cakes for family gatherings, friends and special occasions of family, friends or co-workers. It ends up as a gift for them or occasionally my co-workers insist on contributing to my baked goods as we would normally buy cakes for the event...so instead they would ask me to do it and they know they are getting a more special cake than what you would normally get at a bakery. Sometimes close friends at work order cakes from me and I really mean sometimes...so I don't consider it a business as it's not a 2 or 3 times a month thing.

I enjoy what I do and love every minute of decorating the cakes.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:48pm
post #55 of 82

I haven't read all of the posts, so forgive me if this has already been said: once I started to see how much money this was, I started offering the cakes pretty much at cost. This way, the person was buying me the ingredients and I would make the cake for them. No charge for labor or anything like that. This enabled me to keep trying new things without draining my wallet.

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:08pm
post #56 of 82

I largely donate cakes or ask for people to buy me ingredients.

It is getting to be a bit pricey! I wish my cakes cost less to make, but once I add up all my supplies (bought in Philadelphia, so groceries cost more), and special-ordered dusts and molds, tools, dowels, etc, it usually comes to around $80-$100/cake. I also must admit that I don't really like to make simple cakes. Everything is 3-D, sculpted, and usually feeds around 50 (I only make them for big events and parties). I'm sure that if I made simpler cakes, like a one-tier regular shaped cake, it would be cheaper. But those are not challenging, and no fun for me! Or if I didn't make my own buttercream, different fillings, etc, it would be cheaper. But I can't bring myself to skimp on my cakes.

To those of you who spend $30-$50 on making cakes, I envy you!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:25pm
post #57 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Hi my name is Rosie and (ehem--clearing throath)..."I'm a cake toy junkie, I"m a cake toy junkie"

Ahhh, thank you tiggy I feel better know icon_biggrin.gif when's the next meeting?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:16pm
post #58 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Quote:

My husband's hobby is horses, and yes, he does sell some, but still they are a very expensive hobby-much more than caking.

He he. This is my justification too. When my hubby spends $800 on car parts for hobby cars, I don't feel bad spending $50 on a new cake thing.

I don't have many issues with my husband over my toys because he has so many expensive toys. It isn't like he's going to make money with a snowmobile or motorcycle anyway.

princelyess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princelyess Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm
post #59 of 82
Quote:

Okay, tiggy2
My name is Helen, and I am a cake toy junkie.

When is our next meeting?

Hi, my name is Cathy, and I am a cake toy junkie! Though I don't know which addiction is worse, baking/decorating, or CC!!! I literally spend hours here! (loving every minute). I am also a hobbyist. I don't spend a lot, but have accumulated a LOT of toys over the years (my ex is in the business of buying and selling estates and household contents, so you can see how that goes), and don't think I'll ever stop. I think I have most every cookie cutter made! Here's to many more years of caking!!!

Cathy

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:02pm
post #60 of 82

I'm a hobby baker (working on figuring out how to open a business), and most of the cakes I do are in lieu of a gift, as a PP said. Friend's kids birthdays mostly, and I'll do whatever character the kids want. The other ones are usually for family holiday parties and such. I did do a wedding cake for my best friend's brother and told them they had to either buy the ingredients or give me the money for the ingredients, and the rest of the cake was their wedding gift (it's the pic in my av).

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%