Brrrr....

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 11:47am by Bijoudelanuit

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 37

I have decided that I am hibernating this weekend! It is currently 19* in East Texas. I know some of you are saying, oh that is nothing but it isnt supposed to be this cold here. Im not made for the cold cold! Yesterday I dont think we got above freezing and today the high is supposed to only be 31*. Tomorrow our high is suppose to be 39* so at least the numbers are going up, but I plan on staying in where it is warm for the weekend.

How in the world do those of you that live up north stand this cold weather all the time?

36 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 37

I don't know either. On another thread, and I wish I could find it, they were talking about inclement weather policies. I say, we shut it down here in VA. They say they still go out in deep snow. I wish I could tell them we had snow flurries, not an even an inch of snow on the ground and we have 2 hour delays and some counties are closed. icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 37

We get the hint of ice or sleet here and everyone is off to the store to stock up. Of course we are not use to driving in ice or any of that good stuff so we need to stay home.

I had class last night and I can say if it hadn't been the first night I seriously considered calling and pushing the class to next week. I really didn't want to get in out the 20something degree weather carrying my mixer, bag and box of suff I need to have for class.

flourgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgirlz Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 37

Well, the high here today is 2, so I would take 31!

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourgirlz

Well, the high here today is 2, so I would take 31!

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif I do not envy you at all. I am orginially from California, so it hards enough for me to deal with us being in the 30's.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 37

Ahhh..I've got yah all beat...Up here in Canada we just came off a 2 week cold spell of
-35 degrees..Yup your face with freeze in 2 minutes uncovered... Don't you love the weather!!!

LOL

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 37

O.M.G.!!! I was watching the Discovery channel and these guys were trying to wokr on a pipeline in Alaska. They could only work for like 5-10 minutes at at time, cause it was -32degrees. So, I have to ask, what is day to day living like. And do you got hot summers? What is summer like?

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 37

There is just no way I could live on those temps. I know here in Texas you really don't ever get use to the hot hot summers so I'm guessing you never get use to the cold cold either.

If I lived up north, I doubt I'd come out in the Winter. I'd have to find a job that I could do never leaving home.

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 37

Well..It's pretty cold and it makes it tough to get around because there is usually alot of snow.You just have to bundle up anywhere you go and always dress for the weather.We have in the past got some hot days in the summer where it gets 30 outside which to you would be about 110 but not very often.It is very short and then winter comes back in...I have really noticed the weather pattern changing in the last 10 years..We used to get definite Spring,Summer,Fall now it feels that is is colder longer than ever before...Oh well at least we don't get earthquakes or hurricanes etc so I'd rather deal with the cold.

LOL

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

O.M.G.!!! I was watching the Discovery channel and these guys were trying to wokr on a pipeline in Alaska. They could only work for like 5-10 minutes at at time, cause it was -32degrees. So, I have to ask, what is day to day living like. And do you got hot summers? What is summer like?

Dang, what I want to know is what is your heating bill like!?!?!?! icon_surprised.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 37

It's 8 degrees here at the moment, and with the wind chill feels like -10. They called off school. I have a fire going and cinnamon rolls about ready to go in the oven.
Hot chocolate, anyone??

Jodie

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 37

The heating bill is about 2-3 hundred bucks a month...But we are used to it here and the cost of living in this city is quite high so...

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 37

Yes please Jodie! icon_smile.gif

I started my morning off with Apple Cider I might have to make me some coffee or hot chocolate here soon. Just wish people would stop coming in and out of the door. I've already gotten the mail and have takent the trash out so I don't have to go outside again until it is time to go home. Then I have to walk home. Thankfully I just live next door.

We have warmed up to 25* with a feels like 14*.

Kiddie, you know we use to have mild winters, but this year the cold hit earlier and it has been colder than normal. I'm so wishing for spring already.

Sending everyone very warm thoughts.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 37

I LOVE the cold weather and HATE the hot summers! Being fair skinned and red headed, my "radiator" doesn't cool well. All summer I feel like someone has pulled my power cord out of the socket. I hibernate in the air conditioned environment. Air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned office and back. H A T E I T !! I have to do my gardening early in the morning or not at all. The neighbors love it when I start the lawn mower at 7 AM on a Saturday, but I'll literally get heat stroke if I do it in the heat of the day.

On the other hand, I come alive again in about October. I have so much more energy and enjoy being outside. I snow ski, and to me there's nothing better than having that cold, clear fresh air in my lungs and on my face. It just feels so much fresher and cleaner than summer. Plus, winter clothes are so much more fun than summer clothes. Nice wooly coats and sweaters, scarves and boots and tights. Love the wardrobe! Our weather has been 25-35 this week.

I do understand that a lot of areas just aren't prepared for the weather they're getting right now. My advice is to dress in layers and stay hydrated. You'd be surprised at just how much the cold can dehydrate you as well as the heat. Use lots of lotion on your face and hands, too.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:58pm
post #15 of 37

Hey Texas, look at the bright side......at least you don't have to worry about your buttercream melting! icon_biggrin.gif

I looked at a map of the US on the news this week and only a few places were over the freezing point.

So much for global warming, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #16 of 37

I'm not making a cake until next weekend and then it is suppose to be rainy. UGH!! But you are right. This is just complete opposite than what I am use to.

We went to New Mexico the week after Christmas, snowed twice while we were there and I swear it has been colder here since we got home than it was when we were there. That damp cold and blowing wind is just not fun at all.

Today I have on a tank top, a light long sleeve shirt, a sweat shirt and my nice warm jacket is behind me. I wrapped up in a scarf and had gloves on to walk two-three mins from my house to the office. I would have worn my nice fuzzy warm house shoes if I thought the guys would have understood.

I really feel for those of you that have these temps for long periods. I'll be thinking of y'all every time I layer up.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:02am
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I looked at a map of the US on the news this week and only a few places were over the freezing point.

Now now, it's all about temperature averages...Just because it's cold today doesn't mean we won't have to deal with another summer of extreme heat like the last two years. There won't be any global warming cracks being made then, we'll be too busy trying to keep the buttercream from sliding off the cakes!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:03am
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I LOVE the cold weather and HATE the hot summers! Being fair skinned and red headed, my "radiator" doesn't cool well. All summer I feel like someone has pulled my power cord out of the socket. I hibernate in the air conditioned environment. Air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned office and back. H A T E I T !! I have to do my gardening early in the morning or not at all. The neighbors love it when I start the lawn mower at 7 AM on a Saturday, but I'll literally get heat stroke if I do it in the heat of the day.

On the other hand, I come alive again in about October. I have so much more energy and enjoy being outside. I snow ski, and to me there's nothing better than having that cold, clear fresh air in my lungs and on my face. It just feels so much fresher and cleaner than summer. Plus, winter clothes are so much more fun than summer clothes. Nice wooly coats and sweaters, scarves and boots and tights. Love the wardrobe! Our weather has been 25-35 this week.

Ditto, red hair and fair skin and all that...

Deb_ Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:15am
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Now now, it's all about temperature averages...Just because it's cold today doesn't mean we won't have to deal with another summer of extreme heat like the last two years. There won't be any global warming cracks being made then, we'll be too busy trying to keep the buttercream from sliding off the cakes!

lol true! Although this past summer we only used our central air 9 days...I kept track because my DH was always saying how I'm putting it on for no good reason. icon_lol.gif I told him no, I only put it on on Friday nights when I'm icing my cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:56am
post #20 of 37

The trick to live in cold weather areas is having the right clothes. Right fabrics, layers, etc. I would rather have it 0 than 100. I figure you can always put more clothes on if it is cold....but when it gets so hot you can take it all off and still be hot and sweaty.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:02am
post #21 of 37

Our high for tomorrow will be 8 degrees.
Last year we got a week of -10 F. during the day and I don't even want to talk about the wind chill. It would cut through you like a knife. I can't even think about what -35 is like. BRRRRRRRRR.

I'm not made for cold weather and I'm in the North. DH and I have been talking about moving to Florida. Then again they are in a cold snap right now too.

I believe we might be freezing this winter everywhere. icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb

The trick to live in cold weather areas is having the right clothes. Right fabrics, layers, etc. I would rather have it 0 than 100. I figure you can always put more clothes on if it is cold....but when it gets so hot you can take it all off and still be hot and sweaty.

I used to feel the exact same way. But then I'm from California originally and our winters aren't exactly wintery. Now, living in Viirginia, the pass 2 years, I can't wait for the summer. Winter dragged out last year and I did not like it. icon_cool.gif

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:41pm
post #23 of 37

Hey, flourgirlz! I'm just right up the road a piece in Fort Dodge!

Yep - when the wind chill overnight is -20 or -30, I say we win! At least compared to Texas! icon_lol.gif

Every winter I say I'm moving to Florida. A friend of ours down there said people are being told right now what to do if they see a snowflake. HILARIOUS!!!!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:32pm
post #24 of 37

Last night we went to the store and it was -20 on the way home. That morning it had been about -30 and the kids went to school 2 hours late. That's without the windchill factor.

The kids don't go out alot during the winter months, there are weeks on end that they have recess in the classroom.

The last couple summers have been cold too so I don't even get nice weather for a couple months. icon_cry.gif Last summer we had frost several times into late June and our warmest weather was actually in September.

Deb_ Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:36pm
post #25 of 37

Yeah, last summer was "non existent" here in New England too. We had an endless amount of damp rainy days.

Our warmest weather was in September too. Too bad it didn't last. icon_rolleyes.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 7:53am
post #26 of 37

Mbelgard, where are you? Sounds like my place!

Remember, some of us are talking Celsius, and some are in fahrenheit. I think in Celsius. Here, in the Yukon, we expect at least one week of -40 every winter. Winter, by the way, starts the in October, and stays until mid April. December 22, the shortest day, the sun came up at 10:10 am and went down at 3:48 pm.
Luckily for me, it's been a crazy mild winter, and it's only hit -30 a few times! It's actually been nice!

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:49am
post #27 of 37

happy to report its not longer 40c/100f down here.... temps starting to come down finally and thankfully - at least until tomorrow that is

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:26pm
post #28 of 37

It's -8 here today (central NY). Some places with in an hour of me are reporting -17! I can't wait for spring!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how those of you who are farther north survive! I'm sending warm wishes to everyone!

Deb_ Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:04pm
post #29 of 37

It's 12 degrees here with a windchill of -5.

I just looked and saw that it was 90 degrees in Aruba yesterday and expected to be the same today..........I wonder how much a plane ticket to Aruba is right now icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:50pm
post #30 of 37

We are having a heat wave today. Break out the swim suits and grab the sun block. It's a whopping 23 F. out today. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%