Edible Images On Fondant?

Decorating By beth1819 Updated 1 Jun 2013 , 9:58pm by pam29922

beth1819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth1819 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 16

I have seen several cake toppers that are edible images. They appear to be on fondant that has been allowed to dry so that it can stand on top of the cake. However, I could be way off! Can anyone tell me how to make these toppers?

15 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 16

Roll out your fondant and moisten it with a damp paper towel or paintbrush so it's tacky.

Place your edible image on the fondant.

Trim the image and fondant together with an Xacto knife.

Allow to dry on a piece of foam sponge for a few days.

When you're ready to put it on the cake, glue a lollipop stick or skewer to the back with royal icing or melted chocolate.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 16

I made my ps3 cake tv exactly that way. Let the rollerd and cut fondant+gumpaste dry and then barely dampened it w water and applied the image.

DianeLM Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 16

Just to clarify the way I do it...

I don't wait for the fondant or gumpaste to dry before adding the image. I place the image while the fondant is still fresh, then let it all dry together. I think the image bonds better to fresh fondant than to dried. YMMV icon_smile.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 16

I would think they would both work, however, my thought is you would be better use the fondant before it drys as you will get a better adhereance to it.

beth1819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth1819 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks so much! I always know where to turn for advice!

coppelia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coppelia Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 16

Does attaching an edible image on marzipan work the same as attaching it to fondant?

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

I would think they would both work, however, my thought is you would be better use the fondant before it drys as you will get a better adhereance to it.

I will try this out next week - I have several smaller images on one sheet that I planned to cut out and place on small pieces of fondant and adhere to the cake sporadically. I think I will place the images onto the fondant before they dry as the thought of them 'drying together' is appealing.

My question is: with edible images, it's better to place them on a white iced background so that the colors show up better. Is this the same for fondant? I guess I should use a white background so the image is true to its color, huh?

DianeLM Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 16

Yes, you should place your EIs on white fondant. You can roll your fondant REALLY thin, if you need that type of effect.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 12:29am
post #10 of 16

Great...thank you!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 3:47am
post #11 of 16

How to make an icing image plaque tutorial:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/page/2

HTH

LadyJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyJay Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 16

my edible image is going on fresh pastel yellow fondant- do you guys think using yellow will be an issue? Its a baby blanket with a team logo in EI and the client requested the blanket be yellow.. also- piping gel to adhere? crisco?? this is my first time!

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:33am
post #13 of 16

Sure! I do it all the time. Cut your edible image out and attach it to a thin piece of fondant.

The image will adhere to the fondant by applying small amount of water to the fondant first and then attach image.

Here is a cake I did doing it this way...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2104267

HTH

Michael

LadyJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyJay Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:33pm
post #14 of 16

thanks!!! Awesome cake! I did my cake last night- came out ok-- the only challenge was that the "blanket" is draped over the cake- so its not a flat surface... the edible image adhered but it is a bit pulled as a result... I am keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't pull any more-- but I think it will be ok. Will post a pic soon!
thanks for your help- I am looking forward to really using this printer!! ~Janean

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:45am
post #15 of 16

If you are draping the fondant, try using Sugarveil. Images adhere great to it and it gives a fabric type feel.

pam29922 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pam29922 Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 9:58pm
post #16 of 16

Can you tell me which type if edible print sheets that you use?  I have only used Wafer sheets so far, but I wonder if there is a better type to use?  Also, do you know if wafer with also adhere to fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%