Help............. I Can't Get This Jar Open!

Decorating By lthiele Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm by mckaren

lthiele Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 11

It's quarter to three in the morning - it's my birthday - all I want to do is go to bed, but I have this little jar of liquid edible silver food paint and I cant get it open to save myself! icon_mad.gif I just want to get a plaque done before I go to bed so it will dry. Anyone got any bright ideas............. anyone?

10 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 11

hope this is not too late. run the lid under hot water, dry off before turning.

HTH

OMGitsaLisa Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 11

Sometimes I run jars under hot water to get them open. Usually they're stuck on with stuff around the threads and heating helps to soften it so the jar can open. I don't know if that will work on this, but maybe it's worth a try.

lthiele Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 11

Bingo - thanks ladies! I had tried submerging the whole thing in boiling water from the kettle which didn't work, but I just stood at the tap for a few minutes and it finally opened! Thanks!

OMGitsaLisa Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 11

Awesome, I'm glad you got it open. Oh, and happy birthday!

pouchet82 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 11

Happy birthday! Another trick that I have is I wrap a rubber elastic band tightly around the lid and twist. Works like a charm every time! The elastic gives you more grip.

newmansmom2004 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 11

Along this same line, does anyone else have trouble getting those blasted little jars of lustre dust open??? I can NOT get those TIGHT plastic lids off without ripping them in half with a bottle opener or forcing them off using every muscle imaginable. I've started putting the dust into other small containers once I do get the lids off, but dang - I can't tell you how many shirts I've covered with lustre dust (not to mention wasting a lot of dust) when the top finally catapults off the bottle with enough force to blast an orange through a straw!

tiggy2 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Along this same line, does anyone else have trouble getting those blasted little jars of lustre dust open??? I can NOT get those TIGHT plastic lids off without ripping them in half with a bottle opener or forcing them off using every muscle imaginable. I've started putting the dust into other small containers once I do get the lids off, but dang - I can't tell you how many shirts I've covered with lustre dust (not to mention wasting a lot of dust) when the top finally catapults off the bottle with enough force to blast an orange through a straw!

I use a church key and it works very well.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

My sister gave me some for Christmas and I ended up using pliers to get the lids off, then pouring the dust into some little plastic cups with lids that I bought from Michaels to store grated chalk in.

newmansmom2004 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

My sister gave me some for Christmas and I ended up using pliers to get the lids off, then pouring the dust into some little plastic cups with lids that I bought from Michaels to store grated chalk in.

Yep - those are probably the same little containers I transfer my dusts to when I finally get them open.

mckaren Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 11

I put on a rubber glove to grip the lid better if I can't undo the jars. They can't be little nightmares!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%