Freezing A Fondant Covered Cake???

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 14 Jul 2013 , 12:11pm by 640Cake

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 24

UGH. icon_sad.gif I JUST finished a cake for a little girl's 4th birthday party and the mom called me about an hour after I finished saying the party is being postponed until next weekend b/c the little girl is sick. Can I freeze this cake? it is covered in MMF and buttercream underneath. I told her that I have put a fondant cake in the freezer before and I have no idea what the outcome will be but I can try it. Has anyone ever tried freezing a fondant cake???? Any tips/ideas for defrosting it?

23 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 24

I've frozen fondant by itself and it did well. I use MFF, but I imagine it would be the same for MMF. And we all know cake and buttercream freeze well. I would try thawing totally before unwrapping to avoid problems with the condensation.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 24

I am curious as to the answer to this too.........

Lovemesomecake Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 24

Anyone???

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 24

most people have good luck with freezing.. they let it thaw in frig.. and then i think ..after taking off foil or whatever.. they let a small fan blow on it for a bit. or sit it in pretty cool room also.. as it is thawing..

Lovemesomecake Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 24

Great! Hopefully I'll have the same luck. Thanks!

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 24

I had a client who had to cancel a party due to being hospitalized with swine flu, the cake was done so she was going to toss it.
After asking around people said it could be frozen so I suggested she try. I advised her to wrap it up in saran and when she was ready to thaw it to do it with a fan.
She emailed me a couple of weeks later to let me know it worked GREAT and she loved the way it tasted... and it was a black/pink cake. The colors didn't run or anything!

Lovemesomecake Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvscakes

I had a client who had to cancel a party due to being hospitalized with swine flu, the cake was done so she was going to toss it.
After asking around people said it could be frozen so I suggested she try. I advised her to wrap it up in saran and when she was ready to thaw it to do it with a fan.
She emailed me a couple of weeks later to let me know it worked GREAT and she loved the way it tasted... and it was a black/pink cake. The colors didn't run or anything!

YAY!!! OK thanks, this makes me feel so much better!!!!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 24

Let us know how it turns out!!!!!!

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 24

I have always read that fondant decorated cakes can't be frozen.
But when I made this cake with mmf http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1432303 the friend to whom I made it, didn't know about it, and she froze it (his son wasn't at home and she decided to wait for him).
She kept it on a plastic box (tupperware) and had it frozen for a week. When she took it out, she kept it on the box (closed all the time) until it thawed completely. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was perfect!!!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #11 of 24

My mom froze a tier and thawed it a month later to serve. It was white MMF with a black silhouette and it looked and tasted perfect when it was thawed. There were no problems with color running or with the pleats softening from condensation either.

Rosey1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosey1120 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:33am
post #12 of 24

I made 225 fondant covered mini cakes for my daughter's wedding (I used Satin Ice fondant) and froze them in large tins. When I took them out to finish decorating them I uncovered them and let them sit until they completely defrosted and any condensation was gone. Luckily we had air conditioning (this was in early September) so the condensation wasn't too bad.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:19am
post #13 of 24

I just recently had to do this from Dec 5 until Dec 25th because my dad's bday cake (see in my photos) wasn't touched so I posted here and asked the same question and was told I could. They said wrap it up really well, saran, aluminum foil and a bag to cover. Indydebi said when thawing it out take it out of the freezer to the counter and leave it wrapped something like 4 hours. I did all this and cake came out fine. The fondant (MFF) was a tiny bit dry (btw no sweating on my cake so no need for a fan) but the cake was perfect. I will add that I had used ganache under the fondant.

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 24

Ok. So far this is the only tread I have found on freezing a cake. (I know I'm not looking hard enough). I was wanting to know about freezing a filled cake. Just the cake with the pineapple, strawberry filling. Not iced or covered in Fondant. Can that be done? And if I can save more time can it be done with the cake iced in BC then covered in Satin Ice? The party is next saturday and this is the only day I will have to bake. So I won't have time to do a practice run. Thanks in advance.

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 24

This is just the info I was looking for. Will it still be ok if it is frosted in ButterCream with Fondant accents? Will the fondant slide or anthing

anamado Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:54pm
post #16 of 24

I think that as long as it is completely covered in saranwrap it will be OK. The problem is when the water that is on the air (humidity) gets in touch with the sugar (fondant or buttercream). The plastic film will make the barrier

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:09pm
post #17 of 24

I had this exact same problem, only it was my fault, I got the date wrong. I also had it decorated with butter cream under MMF, and Wilton fondant for decorations. I wrapped it in saran wrap, then foil, and put in the freezer. I took it out on a Thursday, let it sit in my fridge until Friday, and then sat it out on the counter until Saturday afternoon. I swear it looked and tasted as if I has made it all that morning. It was so good in fact, I think I might do it on purpose in the future if I'm really busy with cakes.

88nikki88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
88nikki88 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:25pm
post #18 of 24

I froze a baptism cake this winter that was covered in buttercream and MMF, and raspberry filled. The baptism was postponed due to weather. I double wrapped the cake in saran, then wrapped in foil. I set it in the coolest room in my basement overnight to thaw (still wrapped. Then left it on the kitchen counter for 2 hours to come to room temp before uncovering. It looked and tasted perfect. It's the Cross cake with the baby on it in my pics that says "God Bless Gabriel", the pics were taken after thawing (I definitely took some pics BEFORE freezing too, lol). I was SO worried, but when you don't really have a choice what else can you do? Anyway, even the lustre dust hadn't been disturbed, I was so happy it wasn't ruined icon_smile.gif

anamado Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 9:49pm
post #19 of 24

This cake was completely frozen for a week (without the ears). It was all wrapped in saran and let to defrost with the saran inside a cardbox for a day. As you can see, it was perfect!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1902820

MarcusAurelius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarcusAurelius Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:42pm
post #20 of 24

Julisa, the more sugar your fillings contain, the less of a problem you should have, when they are frozen. However, if the fillings contain regular, unmodified cornstarch, they might break down a little. If they contain modified cornstarch, pectin, xanthan gum or other thickeners, they should do better. Just theory, based on my knowledge as a food scientist...good luck!

To the other posters in this thread, thanks so much. How many dads get asked by their daughter to do the wedding cake?? icon_smile.gif Hope her confidence isn't misplaced! I was looking for anyone who had experience with frozen, fondant-covered cakes, so this helps. Thanks again.

Mrs Minki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs Minki Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 9:39pm
post #21 of 24

Wow I would never of frozen a cake with fondant through fear of it turning out a total mess once defrosted... might give this a go one of the days as a test :) x

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 1:41am
post #22 of 24

Thank you all for sharing all that information.  I never would have frozen a fondant cake, but now I'm not worried about it any more if I have to do it.

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 10:31am
post #23 of 24

I so glad I found this thread!!! Freezing the fondant cakes has always given me a slight twitch. :p  But, I do have one question.... how do you wrap a fondant covered cake in saran wrap without it messing up the smooth finish?  Do the wrinkles in the saran wrap not affect it at all?  I feel like sometimes just touching the cake can put little dents, etc. into it. 

Thanks so much!

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 12:11pm
post #24 of 24

The posts I have read have stated to place the cake in a cardboard box (cake box) and THEN wrap in saran wrap, etc.  When thawing, leave wrapped/boxed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%