Grainy And Soft Sugarshack Buttercream

Decorating By kjskid Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 3:04am by sadsmile

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 19

I tried Sugarshack's icing for the first time, and it's really grainy. I tried letting it sit overnight, as suggested in a previous post, but it's still grainy. It's also seems very soft. It holds a peak like a stiff icing, but I can't seem to pipe with it. When I do, it just kinda runs together and won't hold a form. Any suggestions? It makes such a huge batch, I *hate* to throw it all out!

18 replies
MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 19

You did use powdered sugar, not granulated, and hot creamer mixer?

kjskid Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 19

Yep.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 19

Before throwing it out try adding more powdered sugar. You may want to divide it in half, then add the sugar. That way you aren't waisting so much.

kjskid Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 19

That will definitely make it stiffer, but will it help with the grainy?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 19

You should pm sugarshack - she'll definitely be able to help you. Also let us know what type of shortening you used - it can make a big difference.

kjskid Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 19

I used a generic shortening from Aldi's, but I know it has transfat. I also used their ps, so I'm wondering if that's what's making the difference.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:57am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjskid

I used a generic shortening from Aldi's, but I know it has transfat.

Hi-ratio shortening is "cake and icing" shortening which is available with or without trans fat - but both varieties have emulsifiers that "regular All Purpose" shortening doesn't and which enables hi-ratio to absorb MORE liquid than AP shortening WITHOUT breaking down.

Substituting an AP shortening (with or without trans fat) is not going to yield similar results. It would be like using skim milk in a recipe for whipped cream icing which called for whipping cream as the basic ingredient.

HTH

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 19

I've made Sharon's icing with hi-ratio, and Crisco. Hi-ration def makes a smoother, creamier icing than regular shortening. I also found my icing too soft at first, so I added more PS. You just have to play with the amount of liquid to get it right. I've found that most of the time I use a little less than the recipe calls for. Maybe add all but a few tsps. and add them one at a time till you get a good consistency. Trial and error, but it will pay off!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjskid

I used a generic shortening from Aldi's, but I know it has transfat. I also used their ps, so I'm wondering if that's what's making the difference.

There's your answer. This recipe is for hi-ratio shortening not regular shortening. Sorry you wasted so many ingredients. icon_sad.gif It's definitely worth the extra money to order some Sweetex. Once you try it with that you'll see what I mean.

I actually use half butter and half Sweetex in the warmer months to help stabilize my regular all butter buttercream recipe that I use in the cooler months.

The hot liquid makes a difference too.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 19

I love SugarShack's icing. It took me 1-2x to get it right- but I have a pretty good result without sweetex. (which I will be getting to try shortly!)

I use a best choice (I know, I know brands...) and EXTREMELY HOT creamer. And pay attention to how I mix. The first time it didn't work AT ALL! The second, I compiled a slew of tips and it seemed to help. I did have to play with the amount of liquid to PS. AND I SIFT my PS. (unless it's C&H from an unopened bag)

JanH Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:22pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymadaresane

I love SugarShack's icing. It took me 1-2x to get it right- but I have a pretty good result without sweetex.

You can certainly make a good frosting without hi-ratio. icon_smile.gif

However, your recipe won't be able to absorb as much liquid without breaking down, and the frosting might not be as smooth..

The difference between hi-ratio and Crisco is in the enhanced "performance" benefits of hi-ratio.

HTH

JanH Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymadaresane

I love SugarShack's icing. It took me 1-2x to get it right- but I have a pretty good result without sweetex.

You can certainly make a good frosting without hi-ratio. icon_smile.gif

However, your recipe won't be able to absorb as much liquid without breaking down, and the frosting might not be as smooth..

The difference between hi-ratio and Crisco is in the enhanced "performance" benefits of hi-ratio.

HTH

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 19

Hi all, since this is already a topic I would like to ask a question as well. How much more fat or whatever is in lard than in high ratio? I remember eating from a bakery that made icing from lard, and it was smooth and tasted good, but is was super thick. Has anyone ever tried lard?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:22am
post #15 of 19

that really sounds like it was made with a zero trans fat shortening.

or the ingredient amounts were off.

can u list exactly what you used, how much, and your process? Maybe we can figure it out.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:38am
post #16 of 19

Hi Sharon! remember me the Earth Balance user( half Earth Balance and half hi-rat) well... I used Rich's Rich Whip topping for the creamer this time I made your recipe and it was soo great and yummy and firm and smooth... Just and FYI for your knowledge. Thanks again for the icing recipe!

mccowen73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccowen73 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:01am
post #17 of 19

I have had that happen when my shortning has less than 3 grams of TrasFat. Some store brands now have only 1 or 2 grams and it makes a difference.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:01am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Hi Sharon! remember me the Earth Balance user( half Earth Balance and half hi-rat) well... I used Rich's Rich Whip topping for the creamer this time I made your recipe and it was soo great and yummy and firm and smooth... Just and FYI for your knowledge. Thanks again for the icing recipe!

Ohhh that sounds good, I'm going to have to try to find some of that Rich's...did you make it hot like the recipe calls for?

I'd like to hijack the thread just a min for a ? for Sharon. I have your DVD and you suggest to put the cakes in a bag overnight with all the air removed with one of those seal a meal thingies....well what if you don't have one of those?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:04am
post #19 of 19

Yes I heated it up... and it was super smooth when it was finished.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%