Concerned About All These Pricing Threads....

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 6:28pm by Katiebelle74

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #121 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg10148

Maybe if someone made outline on [how] to charge for a cake we could give them a link to the answer.

I agree with you somewhat. The crazy thing is that the answers really already here! Maybe they should be a sticky or something so they are easy to find. While it will make it easy to find, I think it is just as important for members to do their part. Instead of coming to CC asking how much to charge for a specific cake, perhaps, those interested should be more concerned with the the method on calculating their expenses and then, the costs of the cake. Once you learn that, you can apply that to ANY cake. However, it seems that some people just want to skip that step and come to CC asking for the price on the cake without taking the time to figure out any part of it. There are way too many variables involved for someone to just give an answer as to what they think another person should charge. However, I think it's much easier to agree on method/formula for calculating this. Learning the method also allows you to be more confident in explaining to the customer just how they came up with the price and actually sticking to your price!

That does actually exist as a sticky in the Business Forum here's a link to it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-5711.html

There's another one also called "Alice's pricing matrix" right above this one.

If you notice the date it's been there since 2005 icon_eek.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #122 of 200

Hallelujah!! Cakesweetiecake you hit the nail on the head directly.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:15pm
post #123 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

When was the last time ANYONE seen a question asking "How do I figure cost"?

Mike

NEVER....probably because that would actually require some thought.

Maybe because we're older and we weren't raised in this technological age, but I notice my 2 kids, ages 20 and 21 are the same way.

They're so used to the internet giving them "instant gratification" that if they have to do a little research they flip out.

I remember going to the Library when I was educating myself before opening my hair salon....imagine that....the Library. icon_wink.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:24pm
post #124 of 200

The thread about how do hobby bakers afford the hobby. There are posts in there about making a cake that costs 40-50 bucks. Unless your buying ingredients from the King of Dubai no way is a cak going to cost that much. Were not talking elborate cakes here either.

Mike

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:30pm
post #125 of 200
Quote:

When was the last time ANYONE seen a question asking "How do I figure cost"?

Mike

Well, That's easy enough. Call the grocery store and see what they would charge, then subtract four dollars and you have your price right there.

Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:33pm
post #126 of 200

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:35pm
post #127 of 200
Quote:

The thread about how do hobby bakers afford the hobby. There are posts in there about making a cake that costs 40-50 bucks. Unless your buying ingredients from the King of Dubai no way is a cake going to cost that much. Were not talking elaborate cakes here either.

Mike

When I first started doing cakes the receipts I pulled up shocked me. I was like wow all the extra things you need to make these design elements on the cakes cost a lot! The average person does not realize those costs. And it takes a while to buy things if you are on a budget. I was rolling our fondant with straight sided glass when I fists started... because I didn't see you needed a rolling pin-DOH! Things add up!

Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:48pm
post #128 of 200

When you buy stuff like that it doesn't figure into the initial cost of the cake. That would be like rolling in the cost of the oven to bake it in. If it's a specialty item that you'll never use again sure roll into the cost, but things you would normally use, no.

Mike

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:50pm
post #129 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe if someone made outline on [how] to charge for a cake we could give them a link to the answer.

I agree with you somewhat. The crazy thing is that the answers really already here! Maybe they should be a sticky or something so they are easy to find. While it will make it easy to find, I think it is just as important for members to do their part. Instead of coming to CC asking how much to charge for a specific cake, perhaps, those interested should be more concerned with the the method on calculating their expenses and then, the costs of the cake. Once you learn that, you can apply that to ANY cake. However, it seems that some people just want to skip that step and come to CC asking for the price on the cake without taking the time to figure out any part of it. There are way too many variables involved for someone to just give an answer as to what they think another person should charge. However, I think it's much easier to agree on method/formula for calculating this. Learning the method also allows you to be more confident in explaining to the customer just how they came up with the price and actually sticking to your price!

That does actually exist as a sticky in the Business Forum here's a link to it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-5711.html

There's another one also called "Alice's pricing matrix" right above this one.

If you notice the date it's been there since 2005 icon_eek.gif

Oh, yeah! Sorry. I forgot about those threads. icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:54pm
post #130 of 200

Mike for me everything is included in the cost to make the cake because I don't charge and I make them for family and friends.... so sometimes it costs me $60-$80 to make a cake if I need special cutters or things for it. I look for good eals but can't buy whlesale for boards and ribbons and ingreedients so they cost more. My hubby always says how much did that cake cost to make...? I say, "Less then your power tools that are sitting in the garage don't earn you a living sweetie,"

Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:03pm
post #131 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Mike for me everything is included in the cost to make the cake because I don't charge and I make them for family and friends.... so sometimes it costs me $60-$80 to make a cake if I need special cutters or things for it. I look for good eals but can't buy whlesale for boards and ribbons and ingreedients so they cost more. My hubby always says how much did that cake cost to make...? I say, "Less then your power tools that are sitting in the garage don't earn you a living sweetie,"

No your hobby cost you 45.00 the cake cost you 15.

Mike

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:17pm
post #132 of 200
Quote:

The thread about how do hobby bakers afford the hobby. There are posts in there about making a cake that costs 40-50 bucks. Unless your buying ingredients from the King of Dubai no way is a cak going to cost that much. Were not talking elborate cakes here either.

Mike

Where i live (Asia) it can easily cost me 40 to 50 bucks to make a simple cake. I'm talking 9" or 10". For instance if I'm making chocolate cake, with ganache filling & frosting, I have to use imported chocolates because the quality & flavor of local chocolate isn't great. Since I haven't yet found a supplier for imported chocolates, I get mine from the few supermarkets that sell imported stuff. A 3oz bar of Lindt Excellence is about $6-7. If I'm making a 9" chocolate cake I use about 18 oz of chocolate, at a cost of a whopping $36-$42 for the chocolate alone.

Forget about baking from a mix being cheaper. Cake mix starts at $8 a box!

Expensive hobby indeed. Which is why I scrapped the idea of selling cakes here. Mine would cost a fortune even before profit.

Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:20pm
post #133 of 200

Ok KKat I'll give ya that one. Yep them some pretty expensive cakes.

Mike

sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:23pm
post #134 of 200

Nope ingredients for cake and extra add ins, premium flavor oils, chocolate as mentioned above... making fondant from scratch... it adds up I have never spent less then $25.00 on just ingredients for a plain cake add in that chocolate and making ganache and it goes up more. It's a huge difference when you buy from wholesale or from the regular store for everything. And if you have to order on line for something not carried in a store nearby... I am paying for those shipping charges as well.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #135 of 200

sadsmile, do you have access to a Sam's Club or Costco.

The price of membership would be so worth it in order to be able to buy your basic cake baking supplies in bulk. And the Sam's even sells cake boards!

HTH

sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:30pm
post #136 of 200

JanH it would be worth it if I made cakes more often, but I don't so I can't see spending on the membership since that would about equal what I would save- scratch that because I know those stores and you see stuff you never saw before and now need even though you never knew it existed before.. and now you're spending more money then originally...LOL

I buy that (same) chocolate because of it being dairy free. It is costly!!!! But yummy.

Ok not the same but costly Dagoba or Sunspire. $7.00 for 9oz. Plus shipping if they are out in the store and won't get any in before I need it.

Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm
post #137 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Nope ingredients for cake and extra add ins, premium flavor oils, chocolate as mentioned above... making fondant from scratch... it adds up I have never spent less then $25.00 on just ingredients for a plain cake add in that chocolate and making ganache and it goes up more. It's a huge difference when you buy from wholesale or from the regular store for everything. And if you have to order on line for something not carried in a store nearby... I am paying for those shipping charges as well.

Maybe I'm not getting this. Not trying to be difficult how can you spend 25 on ingredients for a plain cake?

Mike

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:03pm
post #138 of 200

I really don't want to get all up in this mess but I do have something to say for repetitive threads! Searching for pictures on this site is really easy, but I find that searching for recipes and thread subjects can be difficult. More than once I have tried to search for a topic that I know has been discussed, but cannot find the thread titles. This site does not have the most user friendly search engine!

Also, I think that a lot of the people asking price questions are really new, and don't even realize you need a license to sell cakes in most states. They mostly just need some direction on calculating time and cost and a little help.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm
post #139 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

I really don't want to get all up in this mess but I do have something to say for repetitive threads! Searching for pictures on this site is really easy, but I find that searching for recipes and thread subjects can be difficult. More than once I have tried to search for a topic that I know has been discussed, but cannot find the thread titles. This site does not have the most user friendly search engine!

Also, I think that a lot of the people asking price questions are really new, and don't even realize you need a license to sell cakes in most states. They mostly just need some direction on calculating time and cost and a little help.

Don't bother with the search function on this site, it will drive you batty. Instead, go to Google, type in what you think is as close to the topic of the thread you are looking for, and put Cake Central at the end of what you type in. That will help, I promise!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #140 of 200
Quote:

I actually wrote this article so I could stop repeating myself so often, but now it is my top page for search engine hits:

http://tinyurl.com/lanq45

LoriMc Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #141 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Don't bother with the search function on this site, it will drive you batty. Instead, go to Google, type in what you think is as close to the topic of the thread you are looking for, and put Cake Central at the end of what you type in. That will help, I promise!

a ha!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:23pm
post #142 of 200

Oh gosh... the search function on this site is horrible... I will agree with you there. You end up with the most bizzare threads sometimes. icon_lol.gif

I don't think anyone here would not give some help and guidance if asked. I think this thread was started to do just that... to get the wheels turning on what it takes to think about pricing.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #143 of 200

I never knew about the advanced google search until Jamie posted about it. (thanks Jamie!) I can see how easily a newbie would get frustrated trying to get information from the search button on here, I have been on here for years and rarely does it ever work for me.

_Jamie_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:43pm
post #144 of 200

Go to advanced search and do this:
LL

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #145 of 200
Quote:

Quote:

Well said! This is exasctly what started this thread. People skipping ALL of their own research and asking "How much for this cake" or "I booked a cake, how much should I charge". There are a lot of variables to this question.

LoriMc Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:12pm
post #146 of 200

Never, even knew that! Thank you so much Jamie!

_Jamie_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #147 of 200

I just noticed back a few thousand pages...."what be $2 here in the sticks would be $8 in New York."

Well, this is where I do not go along with opinions like this.

If I were to buy such things, I know dang good and well the new Prada purse in Barneys New York is going to be very close to whatever Macy's in ruraltown USA is selling for. And there is a Macy's within 100 miles of anyone, or similar store (Nordtstroms, whatever)

People can either get a properly priced cake, or they can get Walmart. It's pretty simple.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:21pm
post #148 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly101

...supplies x2 or what .

I am making 150 cookies this week. It will cost me about $15 (including gas, electric, boxes, etc.) Should I charge $30? I never understood that logic.

_Jamie_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #149 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly101

...supplies x2 or what .

I am making 150 cookies this week. It will cost me about $15 (including gas, electric, boxes, etc.) Should I charge $30? I never understood that logic.

Oh hell no. thumbsdown.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #150 of 200
Quote:

Maybe I'm not getting this. Not trying to be difficult how can you spend 25 on ingredients for a plain cake?

Define "Plain Cake". For me, to do a 9x13 filled chocolate cake iced and filled in buttercream, assuming I have the cocoa powder already on hand for the cake, I get my stuff on sale, and the only doctoring I do is just adding an extra box of pudding and a tablespoon of vanilla extract to it....

2 boxes DH mix = $2.20 total
2 boxes instant pudding mix = $1.45 total
2 1lb boxes powdered sugar = $3 total
1 doz eggs = $2.20
1 pint whole milk = $1.69
1 box Dream Whip = $4.99
1 box butter = $2.50

before tax, I'm already at $18.03. I usually do a lot more doctoring to my cakes and add fillings, so it can easily get to $25. I spent over $100 on ingrienient supplies for a wedding cake I did for a friend last month.

(for the record, eggs and whole milk are not staples in my house so I have to buy them every time.)

So yeah, for a hobbyist who only makes one cake a month on average, it can get pretty expensive to make a cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%