What Is The Best Nz Cake Mixer/ Food Processor??

Decorating By kiwigal81 Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 7:16pm by lindy01

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:06am
post #1 of 13

I'm looking for one to use, not commercial but heavy duty home baking lol. I'm intending to practice lots so it will be used lots.
I'm in NZ so we have the following brands available:
Kenwood and Breville

I'm not sure if those brands are in the US? I see a lot about 'Kitchenaids' but we don't have that here.

What size bowl do you prefer, and what watt motor is needed? I want to be able to do it all in my one mixer. I will get something with beaters, the whisk, and doughhook attachment.

I'd love to hear your thoughtsicon_smile.gif

12 replies
kiwigal81 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:42am
post #2 of 13

Tis ok, I got one. A good one. Oh my goodness, it is so fab. I'm so excited. (And I just can't hide it...)

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:51am
post #3 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif

oooo, I've been watching this topic for replies... can you tell me what you got?

I'm looking at getting a new one too, I need to upgrade from my handheld, LOL!

Cheers,
Cindy

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:51am
post #4 of 13

what did you buy???

im seriously thinking of buying a kitchenaid. we have them down here (australia) but they cost $700+

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 13

Mrs-A,

You can get KitchenAid Artisan mixers for under $650 at everten.com.au and kitchenwaredirect.com.au (with free shipping). Pretty sure Peters of Kensington also sells them for well under $700.

Mrs-A Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 13

thanks Malo... Peters price was $694 plus shipping but they reopen for their post christmas sale in less than 2hrs so i will be online checking them out at 10am!!!

kiwigal81 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:07am
post #7 of 13

I would have loved to get one given the rave reviews, but, well, patience is not one of my virtues. I wanted a cake mixer yesterday!icon_smile.gif

I got a Kenwood Chef, 700 watts and 4.6L bowl, I wanted to try it out and post, but I've got an assignment dueicon_sad.gif so can't play till next week. It was at forlongs, they have the no interest thing there, and it cost $599.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:50am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal81

I got a Kenwood Chef, 700 watts and 4.6L bowl, I wanted to try it out and post, but I've got an assignment dueicon_sad.gif so can't play till next week. It was at forlongs, they have the no interest thing there, and it cost $599.

I was gonna suggest that very same mixer. Love it. Even though it has a slightly smaller bowl than a KA (negligible, really), in practice, the design allows you to put in the actual capacity. With the KA I've found that ingredients tend to fly out.

Good buy!

Mrs-A Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:54am
post #9 of 13

a friend of mine here in sydney got the kenwood for chrissy and was telling me about it yesterday - she loves it

i ended up ordering a KA from kitchenwaredirect on monday - $616aussie inc shipping

kiwigal81 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:41am
post #10 of 13

Good to know I picked a winner...still haven't had a chance to try it. I'm resenting this assignment with every bone in my body. We will all have to reconvene and tell how our new gadgets went icon_biggrin.gif

kiwigal81 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:54pm
post #11 of 13

Ok, I've taken it for a test drive. I made a practice wedding cake, 3 tiers, 12, 10 adn 8 inches. And a blimmin vat of BC and some SMBC and royal icing. And it is bee-auuu-di-ful. It is a wonderful, wonderful machine. I have no complaints. It's great.

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:44am
post #12 of 13

Yay! Way to go kiwigal81, that's great!

Mrs-A that is a great price! What colour did you buy? Have you received and used it yet???

I'm sooooo excited! I just ordered my very own upgrade (from my lightweight handheld), a KitchenAid Artisan in Empire Red from Everten online! icon_biggrin.gif

Their price right now is $643 AU with free delivery within Australia, at the shops (House, Kitchen Warehouse, David Jones) they're asking $729 and KitchenAid are rarely included in their sales. Mrs-A, KitchenWareDirect were asking $649 for the Empire Red but when I went to order they were out of stock, so since then I've been looking and keeping my eyes peeled for a better price!

I'm just a casual hobby baker/decorator at the moment, still taking classes, experimenting with recipes (I firmly believe a cake HAS to taste as good as it looks!) and hopefully look at making it a business venture in future.

Yay! icon_smile.gif

lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:16pm
post #13 of 13

i brought a kenwood, its the top one you can buy. but it cost me 1200nz dollars. but i do love it to pieces lol.
it also has a really big mixing bowl which is why i also wanted it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%