Ganache Vs Bc Under Fondant...can You Tell Me More?

Decorating By christine1103 Updated 9 Jan 2010 , 4:01am by christine1103

christine1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christine1103 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:13am
post #1 of 5

I'm a hobby decorator and get so many great tips from this site. I've been reading more lately about using ganache under fondant. I've only ever used BC and sometimes my fondant gets buckeled and I'm assuming it's because my bc is too thick or something?

What is the difference with ganache? which do you reccomend?

thanks for your advice!
Christine

4 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 5

Ok i am not expert on any of these things but i'll just say what i know lol

Your fondant is buckling maybe either yes maybe the BC is too thick or soft, warm weather has soften the buttercream or either because if you have done a thick filling in the middle you should let it 'settle' so that gravity works on the cake before you put the fondant on.

These are also the reasons why people prefer ganache:

1. It allows you to have a firmer base to put your fondant on
2. When you put the fondant over it, it allows you to get crisper edges than buttercream
3. tastes yummy and makes the fondant tastes yummier with the ganache stuck to it

HTH icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:34am
post #3 of 5

I just tried ganache for the first time today and it was fabulous to work with! I will definitely be using it again. It was much easier to apply, smoother under the fondant and dries harder. You can get sharper edges as well. It is also less sweet than BC. I got my ganache advice and info from fellow cc'er Rylan.
Check this out:
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/

I haven't tasted the final product yet (choc WASC covered in choc and ganache), but I'm sure it will taste great! icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:23am
post #4 of 5

I will never use anything except ganache under my fondant again for the the reasons mentioned above!
It's a dream to work with, with a warm spatula you can get it smoother than smooth, crisp edges, super yummy taste... can't go wrong with either white or a good semi-sweet ganache!

christine1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christine1103 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:01am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the recipe, link and tips.

How far in advance can I make the ganache? If I store it in an air tight container can I make it 10 days in advance?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%