Royal Icing......egg Whites Or Meringue Powder????

Baking By Leetzie Updated 2 Jul 2013 , 11:56pm by mellbel25

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:29am
post #1 of 21

I am going to make some snowflakes with Royal Icing and not sure which recipe to use. I was told that the egg whites will make the Royal Icing hold up better. Does anyone have a good egg white recipe??

20 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #2 of 21

I use the wilton one with meringue powder all the time, works great! I have a a lot of childeren in my family and older people and people with immune issues, I know the egg white would probably be fine but there's the little nagging "what if....?" voice that keeps me using meringue, and if it works why change? HTH!

Leetzie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 21

Maybe I should use the powder instead of egg whites. I was just wondering how many use the egg whites and trust it to be safe.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:42am
post #4 of 21

i use antonia's74 RI to cover all my cookies now but i would have no problem in using an egg white one for decorations on a cake.

I use to use the egg whites one all the time before and didn't even know then that it might not be safe lol but i don't think it's THAT unsafe, but now i know, I am iffy from time to time lol

If your worried a bit why not see if your local supermarket has pasturized egg whites?

Anyway if you decide to use eggwhites here is the recipe i used:

3 cups icing sugar
2 egg whites
8 drops lemon juice

And then just add the icing sugar like 1/4 at a time to the egg white in a bowl and then beat until it is nice and thick.

Leetzie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #5 of 21

I have some egg whites only (in the carton) in the fridge. I will look and see if that is unpasturized. Since the decorations are not going to be eaten I think it will be ok. Now I wouldn't use the egg white recipe to put icing on my cookies or anything like that.

Elise87 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:48am
post #6 of 21

sorry i wrote unpasturized before.....i meant pasterized lol but yeh i personally would be ok about using it for decorations on a cake

Leetzie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

sorry i wrote unpasturized before.....i meant pasterized lol

I just caught that too! icon_smile.gif By the way I did check the egg whites only carton and they are pasteurized so I assume it's safe to use them.

Elise87 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #8 of 21

yep and if you want to use them in IMBC too it's makes it alot safer to leave it out of the fridge for longer too, that's mainly what i am buying them for cose when they are pasterized they are helping to eliminate the risk of selmonella

Leetzie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #9 of 21
Quote:

i use antonia's74 RI to cover all my cookies now but i would have no problem in using an egg white one for decorations on a cake.

I use to use the egg whites one all the time before and didn't even know then that it might not be safe lol but i don't think it's THAT unsafe, but now i know, I am iffy from time to time lol

If your worried a bit why not see if your local supermarket has pasturized egg whites?

Anyway if you decide to use eggwhites here is the recipe i used:

3 cups icing sugar
2 egg whites
8 drops lemon juice

And then just add the icing sugar like 1/4 at a time to the egg white in a bowl and then beat until it is nice and thick.

I have seen several recipes and some of them call for vanilla or other flavorings. Can I ask what the lemon juice does? Is it just for flavor or does it have a function??

Elise87 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:00am
post #10 of 21

i am not 100% sure lol but i thinks it's probably just for flavour. It doesn't make it really lemony but just a hint of lemon and i think that RI tastes good........but then again i like the tastes of all the RI i make.....not that i eat spoon fulls of it lol

beside using the lemon juice in that one, i have never actually flavoured my RI with flavourings lol

Leetzie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:03am
post #11 of 21
Quote:

i am not 100% sure lol but i thinks it's probably just for flavour. It doesn't make it really lemony but just a hint of lemon and i think that RI tastes good........but then again i like the tastes of all the RI i make.....not that i eat spoon fulls of it lol

The last time I made RI I used Meringue Powder and I think some vanilla. I didn't like the taste of the icing. Not sure if it was the MP or not. I have decided that I will use the recipe you gave me and used the pasteurized egg whites to make the snowflakes.

Have you ever made snowflakes before? I have some templates and parchment paper to trace them. Wish me luck!! I hope they don't fall apart!

Elise87 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:06am
post #12 of 21

I havn't actually ever used meringue powder before cose over here in AUST we have a different thing of powdered egg whites that i use so maybe it doesn't have the same funny taste that alot of people say about the meringue powder.

no sorry havn't make snowflakes before but good luck! Oh and this recipe also pipes very smoothly icon_smile.gif

Leetzie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:13am
post #13 of 21
Quote:

I havn't actually ever used meringue powder before cose over here in AUST we have a different thing of powdered egg whites that i use so maybe it doesn't have the same funny taste that alot of people say about the meringue powder.

no sorry havn't make snowflakes before but good luck! Oh and this recipe also pipes very smoothly icon_smile.gif

Awesome! Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to go whip up a batch and start on the snowflakes so they can dry overnight.

Elise87 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:18am
post #14 of 21

oh and you can halve the recipe of you want if you find it's two much

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #15 of 21

I have used both and definitely find that the eggwhite-based icing tastes better - I use the same recipe as Elise87.

Have also found that my 3 year-old daughter has an allergy to Wilton meringue powder it makes the skin on her face red an blotchy wherever the icing touches it.

Elise87 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloSlatko

I have used both and definitely find that the eggwhite-based icing tastes better - I use the same recipe as Elise87.

The good old Women's weekly thumbs_up.gif

Instead of the meringue powder Malo, have you tried using Pavlova magic instead?

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:50am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetzie

I have seen several recipes and some of them call for vanilla or other flavorings. Can I ask what the lemon juice does? Is it just for flavor or does it have a function??

The lemon juice actually helps break down the proteins in the egg white to help it whip up better. I find that I don't taste it. You can add other flavoring as well.
HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:13am
post #18 of 21

.moving to Recipe Requests. icon_smile.gif

TakeZCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TakeZCake Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 4:13pm
post #19 of 21

Lemon extract is acidic and has a very high alcohol content - usually around 90%. This is used to: denature egg white proteins so that more hydrogen bonding can occur between protein molecules, thereby stabilizing the mixture, to slightly thin the royal icing without dissolving materials such and fondant or gumpaste with which it may come into contact, and also allows the mixture to dry quickly. You can also use vodka (lower ETOH content) or Everclear - but, the stabilizing effect will not be as pronounced. Besides, lemon extract smells nicer. :-)

justleeanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justleeanne Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 4:36pm
post #20 of 21

In some places you are not supposed to use fresh egg whites due to food regulations so everyone should check their area and what is allowed if you're making it for customers. :)

mellbel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellbel25 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 11:56pm
post #21 of 21

A[quote name="Leetzie" url="/t/664374/royal-icing-egg-whites-or-meringue-powder#post_6673436"]

Does it have to be icing sugar?? Or can I use powdered sugar?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%