Please Help Me!

Decorating By misscrosson Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 4:34am by misscrosson

misscrosson Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #1 of 9

I'm making a birthday cake for my sister... I'll get started on it tomorrow morning, the cake has to be ready by Saturday night....

I'm going to do two layers, I've never done this before.... how do I make sure the two layers stay stuck together? also, how can i safely put icing in between each individual layer, or should i just leave it plan cake?

This is the cake im attempting to do:
http://www.weddingandpartynetwork.com/gallery/photos/2326

but, pokadots on the bottom, the strips on the top... and big numbers 26 at the top.... how do I get the numbers 26 to stick on the top? also, is it safe to make them out of fondant?

How do you successfully do strips on a cake? yikes.... i think ive bitten off more then i could chew...

also will the bow and 26 dry in time for saturday if made tomorrow? or, any tips on making them??? thanks!!

8 replies
PatricesPieces Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:55am
post #2 of 9

I would bake on Thurs and put a crumbcoat on to give the cakes time to settle. Frost and cover in fondant on friday. I assume by "two layers" you are meaning two tiers. You will need to put dowel rods in the cake for support. There are tutorials on CC about putting a cake together. Here is one... http://cakecentral.com/articles/107/building-the-cake-combination-pillar-stacked-construction
You can make the number 26 out of gumpaste. I would recommend making the bow and number first so it has plenty of time to dry. Make them tonight if you can. You can insert a skewer into the bottom of each number and then push down into the cake or use lollipop stick to support it. There is a bow tutorial as well. http://cakecentral.com/articles/77/how-to-make-a-fondant-loop-bow

I hope this helps. Good luck and post the picture when you are done!!

cathyscakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:00am
post #3 of 9

2 Tiered cakes are easy. Just put the top tier on a cardboard round and put a ring of buttercream to stick it to the bottom cake. The fondant numbers I think should have been made more ahead of time, so they could dry. Gumpaste might be o.k.
Stripes, I usually use a ruler, I want them perfect, not too thick, not too thin. I think if you have them too thick it looks like playdough. Good luck, next time I would start alot sooner with the numbers and bow, but I've done bows right on the cake, and put some cotton to hold the loops out a bit, and let dry, so i'm not to concerned with that, the numbers might cause you trouble.

kyrodeogal Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:09am
post #4 of 9

Where are you located? I'm in NC and I'm free this weekend. Your profile doesn't have where your located...maybe some good soul would try to help you out! Good Luck!

misscrosson Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #5 of 9

I'm in Ontario Canada... if the numbers dont turn out with the fondant... maybe ill just use cookies or something.... ummm.... gum paste? is that easy to make at home? im not located near any stores that would sell gum paste lol...

i could possibly whip together a small batch of fondant tonight tho to make the bow and numbers

PatricesPieces Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:21am
post #6 of 9

I would make them tonight to give them time to dry. You may not have time to buy tylose for the gumpaste. But if you make them tonight, especially the number, it may have time to dry. You can also lay them down on the top of the cake, or just lean them against your top tier if they don't dry completely. Then just put the bow on top.

misscrosson Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:26am
post #7 of 9

true... thanks... i also just read up about how to stack the tiers... i'll have to post pictures of my end product! lol

my sister's husband is in the city and will be back saturday... i wanted to paint the numbers with some type of sparkle? what is best to do that? the numbers will be in a light pink

PatricesPieces Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:32am
post #8 of 9

If you have some super pearl dust you can dust it with that to make it shine. There are also disco dusts that are sort of like glitter. I'm not sure what you have or what stores you can shop at in your area. Just check with a cake supplier in your area if you are out shopping tomorrow.

misscrosson Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #9 of 9

well where my brother inlaw is, there is a michael's craft store.... so, anything i need can be found there... lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%