Painting Fondant/gumpaste

Decorating By jenlynnlmt Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 2:20am by marzipandoll

jenlynnlmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlynnlmt Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:41am
post #1 of 7

what is the best method to do this.. i tried w. a baby shower cake i did and i used clear tequila in color paste and it kinda bleeds into the fondant a lil more then i'd like.. i have an upcoming cake where i need to paint poker chips onto circle white fondant as well as s chicago cubs symbol... any suggestions?? cant u PM me as i dont get to come on the site often?!?

6 replies
11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 7

I use powder colors with lemon extract.

jenlynnlmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlynnlmt Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 7

ill have to give that a shot...anyone else??

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 7

I love airbrush colors for painting. They are already thinned down and dry well.

If your colors bled you may have thinned it down too much??

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:53am
post #5 of 7

I paint with paste colours mixed in alcohol and don't have any bleeding. I think that either your colour is watered down too much or your fondant isn't dry enough first.

The alcohol evaporates quite quickly so if you do add too much just wait a few minutes until it's thickened.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 7

Hello to all, I have a dumb question...at what point do you paint your gumpaste??? before you work with it or after is applied on your cake or you've modeled your figure??? I need black gumpaste and I've noticed they only sell white gumpaste..

Ok, thank you to all!!!

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #7 of 7

I also use paste colors with very little water, wet my brush, wipe it down and paint. Never bled and always dried well. I only use alcohol to powdered stuff, like my lusters and such.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%