Looking For Half Moon Receipe Or Black & White Cookie

Baking By Jackal Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 11:41am by TracyLH

Jackal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackal Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:25am
post #1 of 7

Help, I use to work with a gal who gave me an awesome receipe for half moon cookies, some people might call them black and white cookies.
I have seem to miss place them. was wondering anyone have a receipe i could try????

6 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 7

I have a recipe but, before I take the time to type it, I want to make sure it's what you want. They're more of a cake consistency, although they're called a cookie, and they have a slight lemon flavor. Let me know!

Jackal Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 7

JGMB. they are more of a cake consistanty the are like a circle half white frosting and half chocolate frosting, they are kinda puffy, i don't remember them having a lemon flavor, but i remember either adding buttermilk or sour milk to the receipe. hope this helps. thank you!!!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 7

My recipe's pretty much the same as the King Arthur one, so I'm not going to bother posting it. I hope they taste like you remembered! icon_smile.gif

Jackal Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 7

thank you for sending this link, this is is what they look like but they don't have lemon when looking futher into the link they did have the old receipe that i remember except for i don't know where the buttermilk or sour milk came from ? Maybe I was confused. Here in central NY we call them halfmoon cookies and they are so yummy. Thanks again for the help icon_biggrin.gif

Here is the receipe.

MAKES ABOUT 30

Hemstrought's Bakery generously shared its recipe with us, but we had to adapt the quantities: The original makes 2,400 cookies!

FOR THE COOKIES:
3 3/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/4 cup sugar
16 tbsp. margarine, cut into pieces
3/4 cup cocoa, sifted
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk

FOR THE FUDGE ICING:
3 1/2 oz. bittersweet chocolate
3 1/2 oz. semisweet chocolate
1 tbsp. butter
4 1/3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tbsp. corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch salt

FOR THE BUTTERCREAM ICING:
7 cups confectioners' sugar
16 tbsp. room temperature butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
7 tbsp. milk
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
Pinch salt

1. For the cookies: Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside. Put sugar, margarine, cocoa, and salt in bowl of standing mixer and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat. Add half the milk, then half the flour mixture, beating after each addition until smooth; repeat with remaining milk and flour mixture. Spoon or pipe batter onto parchment-lined baking sheets, making 3'' rounds 2'' apart. Bake until cookies are set, about 12 minutes. Allow to cool, then remove from parchment.

2. For the fudge icing: Melt bittersweet and semisweet chocolates and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water over medium heat. Add confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, salt, and 6 tbsp. boiling water and mix to a smooth, stiff paste with a rubber spatula. Thin icing with up to 8 tbsp. more boiling water. Icing should fall from a spoon in thick ribbons. Keep icing warm in a double boiler over low heat.

3. For the buttercream icing: Put sugar, butter, shortening, milk, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat on low speed to mix, then increase to medium and beat until light and fluffy.

4. Using a metal spatula, spread about 1 tbsp. of warm fudge icing on half of the flat side of each cookie. Spread the other half of each cookie with 1 heaping tbsp. buttercream icing.

This article was first published in Saveur in Issue #33

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:41am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for posting that recipe, Jackal. My kids have been wanting me to make some of those. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%