New Website.... Yay Or Na!!?!?!

Business By thecookieladycc Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm by thecookieladycc

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:16am
post #1 of 13

I JUST finished my new website for my business. After tomorrow I should be 100% legal! I thought that a new site would be a good thing. What do you think.... what am I missing, what does it need?

http://www.wix.com/thecookieladyccc/thecookielady1

12 replies
Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:24am
post #2 of 13

I think your website is fantastic and so are your products. Much success to you!

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:25am
post #3 of 13

It looks really good! I did find the font a bit hard to read, but thought the wording was nice. Good luck!

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:42am
post #4 of 13

Are there any pictures of your pretzels in there to help see the differences between your sizes (I might have missed them - there are a LOT of YUMMY things to look at!)? Looks REALLY good!

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 13

I really like the site...its pretty without being too overdone...very nice and congrats on becoming 100% legal

Side note...I was looking at what fillings and flavorings you offer, and under the fillings it says gauche. Im not sure if this is supposed to be ganache or if thats a filling I have never heard of (which is a total possibility as I am a newbie). If thats the case, can I ask what that is?

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:11am
post #6 of 13

Your new website looks great and your offerings sound (and look) delicious!

A heads up, though, I noticed two typos in the first paragraph of the "Cake" section. In the first sentence it says "a special time in you life" and with the orders it states they should be "placed two weeks in advanced". Also, the "Cookies" section mentions "a personalized hand decorated surgar cookies". Yes, I am a completely nit-picky, proofreading nerd.

Other than those little things, it looks like a really good website and the caramel apples sound so tasty! Good luck and congratulations!

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:15am
post #7 of 13

Love the website! I also am a picky proofreading nerd. In that part where it says "a special time in your life, then", it should be "than". In the catering section, I think it's missing a word, it says "All catered events need to be made within 2 weeks" also it says "in advanced" rather than "in advance".
Little things again, the website is amazing. I'm also curious to know what gauche is!

thecookieladycc Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:16am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikadodle

Your new website looks great and your offerings sound (and look) delicious!

A heads up, though, I noticed two typos in the first paragraph of the "Cake" section. In the first sentence it says "a special time in you life" and with the orders it states they should be "placed two weeks in advanced". Also, the "Cookies" section mentions "a personalized hand decorated surgar cookies". Yes, I am a completely nit-picky, proofreading nerd.

Other than those little things, it looks like a really good website and the caramel apples sound so tasty! Good luck and congratulations!

Please... nit pick away! I have read it so many times it looks the same to me. Thank you for your help!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:21am
post #9 of 13

Great site! I do agree about the font- I would use something a little easier to read, not as fancy, and a little bigger.

I would suggest pics of each item near the description of it, if that's possible.

Your about us page needs a little editing. I'm just going to tell you what I would change it to.

I've always had a passion for cooking and baking. About 4 years ago, I was helping a friend of mine with a party she was throwing. I had prepared all of the food, not thinking twice about it. Later that night I overheard a few of the guests ask my friend who she had hired to cater the party. Needless to say I was speechless! At that moment I realized what I really wanted to do with my life. After that experience, I decided to go into the food business, doing what I love to do. I am very passionate about it and let that show in everything I make.

I used to tell myself that when I grew up, I would make sure I would do something that I loved to do. I love making food into art and making it taste good too!

Know that when you order something from me, no matter if it's cookies or a wedding cake, I promise that you will get something that has been made JUST for you! I make everything fresh - no pre-boxed cookies, no week old cakes. You only get the best of the best from me!

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:25am
post #10 of 13

I'll join the nitpicky proofreaders' club! I hope it doesn't seem like we're being too critical, but customers notice these things, and they might think that if you can't get the details right on your website you won't be able to get the details right on their order. I'll try not to repeat previous comments, but here is a list of the other things I noticed:

--I agree with PPs who think the fonts are hard to read. Cursive or handwriting-type fonts are fine in small quantities, but not in large blocks. You may want to cut down on the number of fonts, too; I noticed at least five different ones, when two or three would be plenty and offer more consistency.

--Home page: I would recommend making "hand made" one word, as you have in other places on the site.

--Cake page: Again, it's a matter of preference, but I would move your pricing information to the end. Let the customer start salivating over all those flavor and filling options before you hit them with the price!

--Cookies page: Change "varity" to "variety." In the sentence, "From your classic chocolate chip all the way to a personalized hand decorated surgar cookies, and....", you need to either remove the word "a" or the "s" on cookies and remove the comma after cookies (and of course correct "surgar").

Also, change "Resses" to "Reese's", "Macadameum" to "Macadamia", and "detailes" to "details." In the flavor list, the word "cookies" after each flavor is unnecessary; however, if you want to keep it, you need to add it after "Snickerdoodle" (and remove the pluralizing "s") to keep things consistent.

--Goodies page: Change "mak" to "make." Under cupcakes, "regular w/ just frosting" doesn't sound that appealing to me. Perhaps "simple iced" or "frosted" would leave a better impression.

--Catering page: Remove a couple of the dots after "Catering..." -- the word "need" at the end of the sentence is being pushed into the Wix graphic. Also, the second sentence in the intro should end with a question mark ("And what is more work...?). Again, it says "advanced" instead of "advance." Under "Fruit & Cheese platter", change "verity" to "variety." Under "Vegetable Platter," why is it cheaper to get five different vegetables instead of just three? Capitalize "Greek" in the description of the Greek Chicken Pitas. I would also separate the sentence about small event catering into two sentences.

I'm sorry if this list seems too long or overwhelming; I just know how easy it is to miss all the little things after looking at the site so many times! And I have to agree with a PP -- those caramel apples sound SO GOOD! Good luck with your new business!

thecookieladycc Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 13

THANK YOU SOOOO Much!!! I made a few changes, I hope it looks better now! Thank you again. icon_biggrin.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 13

You need your own domain name. As soon as you posted I immediately glanced over and put you in "hobby baker" category and didn't even look at anything else.

A domain cost less than $10 a year, depending on where you purchase it from.

thecookieladycc Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

You need your own domain name. As soon as you posted I immediately glanced over and put you in "hobby baker" category and didn't even look at anything else.

A domain cost less than $10 a year, depending on where you purchase it from.

I do have a my own Domain name, I had posted this one because they said it would take 24-48 hours to transfer.

www.thecookieladyccc.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%