Can't Believe This....cake Scam

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 6:34am by adventuregal

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:09am
post #1 of 12

So I got an email inquire about a wedding cake. I thought it was odd because of such short notice. I replied back that I needed more information on the cake, etc. This is what I got back: It was an email scam that I've seen before, but NEVER with cakes. Just beware. Told him I didn't take credit cards and haven't heard back.

I will like you to bake me 5teir's of cake, 3 in chocolate cake and 2 in strawberry cake. the filling should be Butter cream and Raspberry, Chocolate Mousse and it should be decorated with roses as seen in the picture i attached ( in the picture what you see on the side of the cake is a polka dot, and i will like the color of the polka dot to be pink color). And you should also have the cake covered in fondant or butter cream to feed 250 people ( I believe the fondant should make the journey), let inscription be writing on one of the cake as *Bill Wed Kimberly* and i want you to packaged it in a different cake boxes for pick up once its ready.

I want the cake to be ready for pick up time 11 o clock A.M 22nd of January 2009. and the shipper will be coming to pick them up for delivery to my wedding reception and i don't want you to be worried about the safety delivery of the cake. Regarding the shipping, I have a shipping agent who will be taking good care of the delivery consignments..

The Shipping company will come for the pickup arrangement of the Cake at your location for the pick up date and time. And as I have said, you dont have anything to worry about on the shipping of the cake it will be well secured and in a good condition on arriving the location of my wedding reception, the shipper will be coming with there refrigerator Van for the pick up and it will be ship under the fragile shipping insurance scheme,

So I want you to calculate for me what will be the total cost of the order the decoration,tax if included and also I want you to also add $850 the cost of the pick up and the shipping, so once I have your reply for the total i will remit my credit card for you to charge for the total costso that you can have the order book right away. And once you have the order in progress, I will provide you the shipper information, and they will be the one you will give the $850 for the pick up and the shipping to enable the pick.

I will be waiting to have your reply for the total cost.

Thanks and God bless.

11 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:21am
post #2 of 12

This one has been going around for a while. Looks to me like they've taken the "Happy Married Life" out and replaced it with something else.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:24am
post #3 of 12

There was a thread on this about a month ago. Same scam. Can't find it though. Maybe someone else can icon_smile.gif

rubydasch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubydasch Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:25am
post #4 of 12

I work in a bakery, and we got almost the same email last week. They just requested different colors, different inscription, etc. They wanted the cake shipped to Toronto, Canada (we're in Mississippi). My boss was suspicious and talked to Attorney General's office. They said it was probably a scam. The person would ask baker to pay for shipping costs and then add it to his total bill. In effect, baker pays cash for shipping costs but then never gets paid. They're getting very tricky.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:49am
post #5 of 12

I'm shak'in my head..... scam......

Jen

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:54am
post #6 of 12

Hahahah I am sorry for laughing this is so bad! Wow... the crap ppl will come up with! Amazing.

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #7 of 12

I received one just like it some time last year, except I don't remember what the price was then! I too thought it was odd and replied that I needed more info and imediate payment was required since it was so soon. Never heard back.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:28am
post #8 of 12

That one's been around for *years*.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:16am
post #9 of 12

well the grammar on this is better than I've seen. My daughter, prior to asking my permission, listed my name on Craig's list for daycare. The names of the children would change as well as the person sending the email but the scam was the same. They also didn't have the common sense to realize that it would be impossible for them to pick up their child at the specified time ( they were traveling to the states for business ) because they were going to be in a state other than the one I live in.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:07am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzipandoll

Hahahah I am sorry for laughing this is so bad! Wow... the crap ppl will come up with! Amazing.

Isn't it amazing how dumb these people think we are?!

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:25am
post #11 of 12

You'd be surprised how many people fall for this...

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:34am
post #12 of 12

What bothers me about this situation is the cakers that fall for this. Because of not using common sense and good business practice these scammers are still in business. Also any loser that makes a living off of scamming innocent people is garbage. Gah!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%