What Would You Charge For This Cake?? Please Help!

Decorating By Melinda3 Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 9:05pm by Mike1394

Melinda3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melinda3 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, so I made this open basket cake with red roses. I only charged for what it took to make it because it was a friend of mine. What would you have charged if you didn't know the person or if it was a friend of a friend?

Also, I have an order coming up the end of this month for a 6 year old, who wants a bakugan cake. So, I was going to make a sheet cake then use the wilton ball pan to make a bakugan ball cake on top. She is also a friend and I have no idea what to charge her. I'm new at this and I don't want to charge to much because I want to make all the cakes I can right now. I don't want her to say never mind.

10 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #2 of 11

Need more information. What size/how many servings was the rose baket cake? Was the basket part covered in BC or fondant? Were the roses BC or gumpaste/fondant? How many roses were there?

As for the other cake, also need more info regarding the size. "Sheet Cakes" come in many sizes (some common sizes are 9x13, 11x15, 12x18, 24x1icon_cool.gif.

Oh, and just FYI, it is not legal to sell cakes with a design of a licensed character without permission from the copywright holder AND in most counties in GA, it is not legal to sell cakes out of your home (some counties do if you get your home kitchen health inspected and licensed).

Melinda3 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:02am
post #3 of 11

Thank you for your reply! The open basket cake was a 2 layer 9" round cake. With creamcheese filling and covered with BC. There were 8 roses that were also BC. The open "lid" on the basket was white chocolate.
The other cake needs to feed 30-40 people so I guess I was thinking of making a 9x13 sheet cake.

Melinda3 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:05am
post #4 of 11

oh yeah, it's the first cake in my photos if you would like to take a look and tell me what you think! Thank you!

prterrell Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:44am
post #5 of 11

For the basket cake I would charge $75.

The base price I charge for a BC iced 9x13 (2 layer, filled w/ BC) cake is $117. Extra for the basketball mold cake and any fondant deco.

HTH!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:15am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

For the basket cake I would charge $75.

The base price I charge for a BC iced 9x13 (2 layer, filled w/ BC) cake is $117. Extra for the basketball mold cake and any fondant deco.

HTH!

Why would you charge that?

Mike

prterrell Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 11

Because those are MY prices, Mike.

Mike1394 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:

Because those are MY prices, Mike.

I was hoping that you would explain HOW you arrive at that price. No actual #'s needed to be used. Time to remove the stick.

Mike

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 11

So I see you want to make all the cakes you can. WHy don't you order some dummy cakes to work on decorating as opposed to selling cakes for cheap, cause you want to make as many as you can. Selling a "CUSTOM CAKE" cheap is never a good idea.

prterrell Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 11

Sorry Mike. icon_redface.gif I read your post as being sarcastic, so I replied in kind. Bad me. icon_cool.gif

A few months ago I updated my pricing charts, after determining that for most cake and icing flavors that 25 cents per cubic inch of cake covered my costs and paid me for my time and talent.

For a 9"x4" cake, that computes to $63.59. On 8 and 9 inch cakes, up to 5 buttercream roses are included, with each additional rose being 50 cents, so that's another $1.50 for the extra 3 roses. Tack on 10 bucks for the chocolate lid and it actually comes out to $75.09, which I rounded down for the ease of posting. icon_biggrin.gif

Is that more like what you were intereseted in reading, Mike? icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:

Sorry Mike. icon_redface.gif I read your post as being sarcastic, so I replied in kind. Bad me. icon_cool.gif

A few months ago I updated my pricing charts, after determining that for most cake and icing flavors that 25 cents per cubic inch of cake covered my costs and paid me for my time and talent.

For a 9"x4" cake, that computes to $63.59. On 8 and 9 inch cakes, up to 5 buttercream roses are included, with each additional rose being 50 cents, so that's another $1.50 for the extra 3 roses. Tack on 10 bucks for the chocolate lid and it actually comes out to $75.09, which I rounded down for the ease of posting. icon_biggrin.gif

Is that more like what you were intereseted in reading, Mike? icon_smile.gif

Thank You now the poster has a better idea on how to compute the cost of a cake.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%