Need To Order Rose Cutters.... What Do You Reccomend?

Decorating By jodibug0975 Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm by jodibug0975

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 4

I know a lot of people use JEM 5 petal cutters. If I order those, what size(s) should I start with?

Also, what is a good brand of single petal cutter to use? And what sizes? I wouldn't mind ordering both as I have tried many times to make roses with other methods and haven't yet made any roses that I am pleased with. (I can make decent Duff roses, but I am ready for something bigger!)

Oh, and while I am ordering I am going to get some Tylose, and petal/luster dusts. I have never used any of this stuff before. If anyone has any reccomendations for dusts, I'm open to hear them!

Anything else small that I should add to this order? So far I haven't been very successful with sugar flowers.... but I really want to keep trying until I get them right.

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 4

I have the Jem cutters in 110mm, 80mm and 60mm. I would have all the sizes except that I'm on a budget icon_biggrin.gif I don't have single petal cutters because I'm happy enough with the Jem cutters. (Look in my photos to see some roses made with them).

Order two jars of tylose because you'll like it so much better than gumtex that you'll be worrying about running out. Also, if you don't have one yet, to make roses you need a foam pad and a ball tool.

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 4

If you are not already....order from <fondantsource .com> <<<minus the space in between...I think they have a better price than <global sugarart .com> you can also use coupon code for 10 % off, type in <cakecentral>

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your help! I just made a huge order and I can't wait to get it!

I ordered 20lbs of Chocolate Satin Ice (Haven't tried the chocolate before)
a small diamond quilter cutter
a set of 7 single petal rose cutters
JEM 5 petal cutters in 60, 80 & 100 mm (110 was sold out)
A set of 12 Americolor gel pastes
4mm white edible pearls
Two jars of Tylose
four colors of petal dusts
1 package of fondant glaze in pearl white

So many new toys to play with! I hope they ship quickly!

I already had several foam blocks, a couple of ball tools from when my daughter and I took the Wilton classes, and also the complete Wilton gumpaste tool set with even more ball tools.

I hope I can figure out how to make decent roses finally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%