I've Never Done This Before

Baking By Alaskahsm Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 1:23pm by GeminiRJ

Alaskahsm Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there
I signed up for a cake show in the confection category and then wondered what I had done. I want to do this just to challenge myself, but I have never done this before. Any advice?
Kim

6 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 7

I took a peak at your photos, and you should have no trouble competing! Just do something that you are particularly good at, and pay attention to the details. Have patience, and take the time to go the extra mile. Make sure you also give your attention to the presentation board. Lots of decorators forget this detail. Good luck!

sweet12 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I took a peak at your photos, and you should have no trouble competing! Just do something that you are particularly good at, and pay attention to the details. Have patience, and take the time to go the extra mile. Make sure you also give your attention to the presentation board. Lots of decorators forget this detail. Good luck!

Whats on the presentation board? Just wondering--ive never done any shows before.

Win Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 7

All competitions differ; however, most have basic criteria for judging in common. I compete in Cincinnati and this is a page from their criteria:
----------------------------------------
JUDGING CRITERIA GUIDELINES AND TIPS
NEATNESS
No knife strokes, air bubbles, or sanding marks should be visible in cake covering. Borders should be
uniform with no visible stops or starts. It is best to use a grease proof covering on the cake board that will
not absorb grease or food coloring.
CAKE BOARD
Use a board at least 2 larger than size of cake. Ex: A 10 cake should be on at least a 12 board. Board
should be suitable for the size and weight of cake. Ex: A large tiered cake should have a thicker board
than a small cake. Board should correspond with the design and shape of the cake. If possible, board
should be footed to facilitate handling and minimize damage. (ex: ½ pieces of Styrofoam or cardboard
glued to bottom of board, pushpins, etc.)
CREATIVITY ORIGINALITY
An original design will score higher than something copied from a book, magazine, or other source, if it is
done well. Bigger isnt necessarily better. Designs in poor taste will be disqualified.
SKILL IN DECORATION
All tube work should be uniform and bubble free. Ex: Strings, shells, and stars should be equal in size.
Fondant should be free of seams, bubbles, etc. Gumpaste flowers should be of appropriate thinness and
coloring, with no wires showing.
CHOICE OF COLORS
Colors should be appropriate to design. NO bleeding. If striping borders, the stripes should be in the same
position all around the cake. Ex: If border starts out with red on top and blue on bottom, it should stay that
way all around the cake.
DIFFICULTY OF TECHNIQUE
A more difficult technique will score higher than an easier one IF DONE WELL. But a simpler technique
done perfectly will get more points than a harder technique done poorly.
PLASTIC FIGURES, SILK FLOWERS, ETC.
Plastics and other fake decorations are generally discouraged from use and will usually be ignored by the
judges. Tiered cake separators are an exception, unless they are inappropriate for your design.
--------------------------------------
As well, many competitions judge on whether or not you have wires sticking into your cakes. A lot of judges are NOT attracted to cakes with bold colors. The presentation board is the board the cake rests upon. Coordinating it to the cake is a key element. Don't worry about big and fancy... often small and perfect is a better choice. As you can see, neatness counts!

Most of all... have fun! These shows are such a great opportunity for one to learn. More than likely, you will come away with your score sheets and they are invaluable as the judges tell you what to work on, what scored high and what not so high. I meet incredible people, learn incredible things and have an incredible time when I go.

edited for typo

Alaskahsm Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:56am
post #5 of 7

LOL Ha, I just reread what I wrote. I don't think I will have a problem with the cakes. The confection cat. for this show is cookies, brownies petite fours and the like. I didn't realize I didn't put I had never done cookies before.

mishlove Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 10:17am
post #6 of 7

I am signing up for my first cookie contest too. Can any of you offer any advice? I am going to do a cookie bouquet, do I need to wrap each cookie in cellophane or do I wrap the whole container?

I was thinking of just doing some regular decorated cookies, how do I present them?

Thanks for any advice

Michele

GeminiRJ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishlove

I am signing up for my first cookie contest too. Can any of you offer any advice? I am going to do a cookie bouquet, do I need to wrap each cookie in cellophane or do I wrap the whole container?

I was thinking of just doing some regular decorated cookies, how do I present them?

Thanks for any advice

Michele

Personally, I would not wrap the cookies or bouquet in any way. You want the judges to be able to see your work. For the regular cookies, find a pretty platter and arrange them as nicely as possible. Use some pretty fabric to pool around and under the platter....hope that makes sense! Lay a couple cookies on the fabric for added interest. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%