Cake Decorator Not Selling Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By pieceofcake20 Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 8:51pm by pieceofcake20

pieceofcake20 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 12

I'm considering not selling wedding cakes anymore. When I mention it to people they think I've lost my mind. Is it really that odd?

11 replies
sweet12 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 12

I dont think so--some ppl decide to specialize in other aspects of making/decorating and selling of cakes and confection. For instance, where we live there is not a necessity for 'wedding cakes' and most ppl would rather a bday cake or other confection delights. so it all depends on what you have time for or even an interest in doing.

mcdonald Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 12

if you don't want to offer wedding cakes, I wouldn't stress over it. You might want to find someone in your area though that you know does a good job so that you can refer any of your clients/calls to. That is always a nice touch and maybe you can work something out with whoever you refer them to !!!

pieceofcake20 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 12

I'm thinking of maybe just setting a limit on how many I do a month. For instance, one a month. Any suggestions on how I could implement this? I'd rather spend the bulk of my time doing specialty 3d cakes and fun, creative cakes. How do i go through a selection process of choosing 1 cake. First come, first serve? application type order form for me to choose the cake I think I will enjoy doing the most? If I choose not to do a cake, how do I tell them?

WendyB Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 12

Just tell brides that you're sorry but you're all booked up for their date if you don't want to take an order.

I wouldn't do an application, just inquire about budget and date and then you're available or you're not as you choose.

pieceofcake20 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks. I work full time so I only have a limited time available to do the cakes. Wedding season is so stressful for me because I'm booked up with plain white on white wedding cakes and I can't take any of the fun creative cakes. It just takes all of the fun out of it for me. BTW, I can't ever seem to get pictures to upload here so if you want to check out any of my cakes, you can view them on my site.

dandelion56602 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 12

I would say, 1st come 1st serve for that month. then just tell them you're booked.

sweet12 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 12

WOW, i can see why you want to go specialty--those are really nice cakes you have featured! I agree with the PP...just tell whomever asks for a 'wedding' cake that you are booking up until the next month and so forth so you can limit the amt of wedding cakes you do and focus more on your specialty.

tarheelgirl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 12

I started my business 2 years ago with the intent of not doing weddings. Somehow last year I did 20 weddings. So stressful but that is the bigger money maker around my area. So, this year I am actually focusing ON weddings and cutting out my smaller cakes. I would do like others have posted and just say that you are booked.

pieceofcake20 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 12

thanks everyone.

allifradgley Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 12

I just wanted to say your cakes are amazing, what a talent you are! icon_wink.gif

pieceofcake20 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 12

thanks allifradgley!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%