3D Thomas The Train Cake

Decorating By beddy Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 8:59pm by KelleyCakes

beddy Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 7

Any info or direction on how to carve a thomas cake..use a 12x18 pan and cut and stack? And how do you get your fondant so shiny? Thanks [email protected]

6 replies
Lyns082608 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 7

I'm interested in this as well.

bashini Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 7

Hi, I found this.

http://thomasthetankenginecake.blogspot.com/

And to make the fondant shine, rub some shortening all over the cake.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Flintstone691961 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 7

here are some instructions i used. I bought a kit from the local grocery store and it turned out nice you can check it out on my pics. I'll try to attach the instructions.

CakeBakerSoulShaker Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 7

You have to be careful with shortening on fondant, as it will become a part of the fondant and can melt it or make it less stable. I know it isnt convenient but the easiest way to get a sheen finished look is to either airbrush with a mixture of vodka and luster dust or paint a little of that on. If painting, go easy on it. The idea is not to have too much excess moisture. Good luck! I am making a thomas the train cake soon, very excited icon_smile.gif

MissCakeCrazy Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 11:29am
post #6 of 7

are there tutorials which show how to cover in fondant?

KelleyCakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 7

A friend of mine did a Thomas cake with two round layers (one big, one small). On the bottom layer, she made a track around it with black licorice. Put a thomas train (the actual wooden train) on it. On the top layer, she made clouds and put harold (wooden) on top. It looked amazing. Do a search on Thomas cake with track/harold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beddy

Any info or direction on how to carve a thomas cake..use a 12x18 pan and cut and stack? And how do you get your fondant so shiny? Thanks [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%