What Kind Of Actual Cake Do You Use?

Decorating By LindsyLee Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 1:42am by sweet12

LindsyLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsyLee Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 12

I am really new to this, I was wondering what kind of cake do you use?? I've heard of people using pound cake but does that taste good to eat? I've tried box mixes too. Any suggestions thanks!

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 12

what kind of cake to use for WHAT? Just general caking? I offer 30 different flavors.

I can't believe you're asking if pound cake tastes good. The answer to that is yes, absolutely.

LindsyLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsyLee Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 12

Maybe its just me but your response wasnt the most pleasent. Anyhow.. I've had poundcake before I just know its pretty heavy and I've never used frosting on it only jams. Also when I asked what kind of cake do you use I ment just that in general for anything..round cakes, square cakes, wedding birthdays etc... What holds up the best, whats easier to decorate what tastes the best.. brands, etc. Sorry if I was vague.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 12

I normally use different versions of the wasc cake from here on CC. Everyone loves the white almond and the chocolate.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 12

Here is a link to a very popular cake that begins with a mix....
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Hope that helps and welcome to Cake Central!

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 12

I think it's just trial and error. I personally love boxed devils food, but it's a bit more crumbly, so not as good for carving. I love to torte my cakes now, so that also affects the flavor by what I add in the middle. I recently made white almond sour cream cake and it turned out a bit dry. But I know I accidentally cooked it too long. So I need to try it again. I suggest whatever your occation, ask what is preferred, and go from there. There are a bunch of scratch recipes and doctored box recepies on here with ratings to try. As for frosting the cakes, if you do a crumb coat, you'll have an easier job with any of them. As for pound cake, I don't know. I can't even remember the last time I had it. =) So just try some out and see how it goes. It's all preferrence. =) Sorry I'm not more help.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 12

I use pound cake (or madeira cake which is very similar) most times because it's marvelous for carving, can held other tiers of cake on top, and great to cover with fondant!!!! The buttercream under the fondant will give moistness to the pound cake's texture when you start eating icon_razz.gif yummy!.
The pans I use are mostly round if I want to decorate a cake, but as I mostly love to make carving cakes I use square ones for that.

Then, my favorite chocolate recipe ever is this one
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7404/victorian-chocolate-cake#more-7404
I also loooved this one:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7507/chocolate-orange-cake very gourmet
and the last one I tried and found very good too (taste, texture, moistness and good for carving) is this easy one:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2380/jello-cake (a nice surprise once covered with buttercream and fondant on top, they really work well together)

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 12

I love to use the Cake Mix Doctors 'darn good chocolate cake' its a doctored cake mix that tastes like expensive chocolate was used even though it wasn't.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysierra

I love to use the Cake Mix Doctors 'darn good chocolate cake' its a doctored cake mix that tastes like expensive chocolate was used even though it wasn't.

This. I have also modified this recipe so that I can do different flavors like Yellow cake, and French Vanilla cake. It's my go-to recipe.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:19am
post #10 of 12

I bake all of my cakes from scratch. Like leah_s, I make a large variety of cakes, all different types of flavors and textures.

Just so you know, many of us on here are very honest and straight-forward. Pound cakes are one of the most popular types of cakes in the US, so asking if they taste good to eat is kind of icon_confused.gif .

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #11 of 12

Hi! Almost every cake I make is from scratch. My two most popular are yellow butter cake and vanilla bean white. I think depending on where you live and who you are baking for, and don't forget ~ the type of baker YOU are (!), you may find different cakes being popular. Seek out recipes that intrigue you and try them. Let family and friends taste them, and see what becomes YOUR specialty! icon_wink.gif

sweet12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet12 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:42am
post #12 of 12

i say use whatever you wish to use as long as it works for the kind of cake you are making and/or decorating. Most times i think certain cakes taste better with a certain type of filling/frosting/fruit. Flavor, texture and taste is what the customer and most ppl are looking for above anything else. Id say keep this type of cake in your options list and see how many takers you get--then you can see what is most popular vs what is not and take it from there icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%