No More Cake Toys...

Lounge By Babarooskie Updated 9 Jan 2010 , 3:12am by JustToEatCake

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 24

Well, I had money saved up and money that I had gotten for Christmas and my birthday (Dec. 24th) to go towards new cake toys.

Boy did my dream get crashed!
My house was broken into on Tuesday and they took all my jewelry and my husband's jewelry. However, thank God they did not take my wedding ring because I always have it on me. My poor babies (dogs) were inside the house in our room, in their crates. And jut the thought of them freaking out when the thief was in my roof is upsetting....and scary. So..all that I had saved up (including vacation money for my 1 yr. anniversary) went into repairs and extra security.

I feel so "violated" now..and quite frankly, scared to be a lone at home now. It's just sad....now every person that walks by my house, I give them a double look because now I don't trust anyone!

I hope this never happens to any of you...it's a scary feeling and I haven't slept in days. I hope they catch these bastards!!

Sorry for the vent icon_sad.gif

23 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 24

That's terrible! Is your insurance going to cover any of it? Maybe you can use some of what you get from insurance for cake toys.

About feeling safe in the house, after mine was broken into, I got a gun. I feel pretty safe now when I'm there, even home alone at night with the kids. And I don't worry about when we're not there, because it's all insured and the things that really matter to me (photo albums, etc) wouldn't get taken and everything else could be replaced.

Babarooskie Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

That's terrible! Is your insurance going to cover any of it? Maybe you can use some of what you get from insurance for cake toys.

About feeling safe in the house, after mine was broken into, I got a gun. I feel pretty safe now when I'm there, even home alone at night with the kids. And I don't worry about when we're not there, because it's all insured and the things that really matter to me (photo albums, etc) wouldn't get taken and everything else could be replaced.

I haven't put in a claim yet, but I will. I'm an insurance agent so it's easy for me to speak to the adjuster and stuff...
My husband is thining about getting a gun- but I'm a little skeptical about it. Especially when we start our family with children...
We brought my husband's dog from his parents house and have her in the backyard now. We got extra lighting and most importantly, had to repair the glass- the most costly one because it was a sliding glass door.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 24

I'm so sorry that happened to you!!! I hope that your nerves settle down soon so that you can get some rest.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 24

Oh goodness - I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'd be freaking out, too, and I think your feelings are justified and probably very normal. My car was broken into once and I felt that feeling of being violated, too. Then after I got over that feeling of being violated I was just downright mad. No one has the right to break into MY car (or house) and take MY things that I worked for!!

I'm just glad they left the dogs alone. As the owner of two furkids that would be my biggest concern. I could get over (maybe, eventually) the loss of "things", but never the loss of my dogs. For some reason, animal theft is big in San Antonio. Pet stores are constantly being robbed of puppies. I just don't get it.

I hope they find the creeps.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 24

I feel for you. When I had a break in, I think the worst of it for me was the feeling of insecurity. Everytime I came home, I would check my rooms and closets before I locked the front door tight (in case I had to run for it!). It took a few weeks before I stopped doing that. I was living alone in a 1 bedroom apt at the time!

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

For some reason, animal theft is big in San Antonio. Pet stores are constantly being robbed of puppies. I just don't get it.

They sell them on Craigslist. That's why they're taking them.

Babarooskie Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 24

Thank you everyone...

I'm so exhausted and I haven't slept since this happened. But I had to come into work today and I have school...
My husband went to go grab some dinner for us last night and I was lone for literally 15 minutes and I was freaking out!! I kept looking outside, checking up on the dogs, muting my tv because "I could've sworn I heard something". Ugh...

This weekend I'm going to some of the local pawn shops by my house to see if I see my jewelry there. If so, then I will contact the police to see if they can catch these bastards.

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 24

Babarooskie,

My prayers go out to you and you family. Being a victim of a crime is such a devastating thing. The same thing happened to me about three years ago. My eldest son was 6yrs old and I was 8 months pregnant with my youngest who is now three. It makes you feel so vulnerable that someone has come into your personal space and just did what they wished with your prized possessions. But the most important thing was no one was harmed. I could'nt sleep for all long time and never felt safe in my house even after I had the baby. Eventually we moved, but I learned a few important lessons- get an alarm and pay for renters insurance

May God watch over you and your loved ones.
P.S I hope that you can eventually get your cake toys icon_wink.gif

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 24

I'm sorry this has happen to you. I too understand the insecurity feelings. It also happened to me.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 24

i am so sorry this has happened to you and your family... 2 yrs. ago.. my car was stolen from my drive... i felt violated also.. my husband is a truck driver.. he is gone alot.. i am scared of guns.. i kept getting up at nite looking around.. if my german shepherd had still be alive. she would have attacked them.. but of course they would have killed her. we got new locks, etc.. my scared feeling have gone away.. i feel safe again after 2 yrs.. i sleep good again. and i pray that will come for you also.. and it will. it just takes a little time.. hth

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 24

If you're feeling that nervous, then you should let your husband get a gun. You can have someone teach you how to use it, or your husband can teach you if he's familiar with guns already. When you have kids, you'll feel even more worried when you're home alone with them, about what you'd do if someone broke in.

Get a handgun, it's easier to handle than a shotgun, even though you do have to aim with a handgun and you don't really have to with a shotgun. It's also easier to secure a handgun in a way that your kids can't get it, once you have kids. My gun is on a high shelf, unloaded, with the magazine (the part that holds the bullets) stored somewhere else. I can get to it in less than a minute and have it loaded. DH keeps his in his holster on a shelf in the bedroom, but he's got one of those holsters that you can't get the gun out of unless you put the belt on and know which way to pull and twist the gun at the same time.

We had someone try to break in through our front door when I was home alone with the kids (DH works 3rd shift). They cracked the doorframe but didn't get in. I woke up because my birds were screaming, which they do when they hear a wrong noise in the dark. Even though I was awake, I didn't have anything in case they did get through the door...we were experiencing some negative cash flow and I didn't even have a phone to call the cops while it was happening. I just had to hope they went away. As soon as I had money for one, I bought the gun.

The next time our place was broken into, we weren't home. We were actually halfway through moving and someone went in and took all of our liquor and old prescriptions, plus went through everything else we had.

Babarooskie Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:58pm
post #13 of 24

Thank you for the prayers, I really appreciate them =)

Well, what happened was that they broke into my second bedroom with the sliding glass door and when they entered the living room area- the alarm went off because of the motion sensor. So I'm sure they panicked and went straight to my room and grabbed all the stuff.
When the thief was in my room, my husband was just pulling up into my driveway from work. As he was walking towards the fornt door- he said he heard the alarm, but it was so faint that he thought it was someone else's alarm down the block. He opened the door and say that our bedroom light was on...

He punched in the code and walked right back outside to call the cops. We called the alarm company and they said the alarm went off at 6:27 and my husband was punching in the code at 6:28. I'm mostly thankful that nothing happened to my husband.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 24

Wow, Babarooskie, for something so terrible to happen, thank goodness ALL of you came out of this unharmed. Especially your husband, since he was there at the same time. Thank God you are all okay.

I totally understand how you feel because when I was 18 a house my family had JUST moved into was broken into. It was unsettling to think that someone was in our home UNinvited, and that we were robbed of anything that had value. The scariest thing was that while locking up DURING our move, my 4-year old brother pointed and said he saw "daddy" in the upstairs window. But Daddy was already locking the downstairs back door. So we believe the robber was in the house the same time we were. Very creepy feeling!

Then years later my custom 1981 Cutlass Supreme was stolen from the parking lot where I work. My insurance and registration were in it (with my name and address), along with my camera. I was scared for a while that someone would show up at my door to help themselves to more; but thankfully nothing more happened. I actually hoped someone would develop the film because I knew that pictures of my 12-foot python Bogie were on that camera! icon_twisted.gif My car turned up weeks later stripped (of course), with a license plate off of another stolen Cutlass. Go figure.

Anyway, despite its' start, may this be a happy and prosperous year for you and your family! icon_smile.gif

hugs28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugs28 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #15 of 24

OMG I have chills reading this thread. I am so sorry this happened to you. I am glad nothing happened to your dogs or your husband. The other things can be replaced.

I have never had it happen to me. Thank the LORD. So I can only imagine what you must be going through. I would definatly get a hand gun. Its easy to store somewhere if/when you do have kids and like another poster said put the gun and the clip in 2 areas, so if they should happen to find one or the other, neither will hurt them alone.

I pray for you to get some sleep soon and feel safe again. I pray that this does not happen again and that everything gets taken care of for you. And I pray that soon you will get your cake toys icon_smile.gif
hugssssss to you, feel better icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:54pm
post #16 of 24

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I can fully understand - my car was stolen out of our driveway Sunday night. (Happy New Year to us.)

Babarooskie Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #17 of 24

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words...
I know I'll be sleeping extra this saturday morning!

It's a terrible feeling and i was even disgusted to sleep in my own bed knowing the thief had touched all my jewlery and touched everything else...

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

This weekend I'm going to some of the local pawn shops by my house to see if I see my jewelry there. If so, then I will contact the police to see if they can catch these bastards.

Keep an eye on craigslist as well. thieves have been selling stuff on their as well.

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #19 of 24

Babarooskie, i'm so sorry this happened to you. Another suggestion that we did to our house when we bought it 2 years ago was add another siren on the outside of the house so when the alarm goes off everyone in our neighborhood will hear it! My old alarm was the same way very faint and living in south florida as well know that break-ins happen all the time. Good luck! icon_wink.gif

Babarooskie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:05pm
post #20 of 24

Hi Everyone.... I got some sleep last night. Feeling a little better icon_smile.gif
Is it normal to feel scared at something and it ends up being to ridiculous..and then you think to yourself, "How stupid am I"? lol

I was at the drive thru getting some din din, and I saw a man walking around my car and I freaked! Looking through my windows, making sure the doors were locked up, etc. He ended up walking around my car because he wanted to go inside the restaurant icon_rolleyes.gif

I felt to stupid....but is it normal to feel like this after a break in?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:12pm
post #21 of 24

What your feeling is totally normal, so don't feel stupid. It will pass. I would also get a gun. It raises your sense of security. I would wait until you were a little calmer though. And thank God your husband came at the time he did as oppose to earlier.

hugs28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugs28 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:18pm
post #22 of 24

Shoot I feel like that when I am out with my kids and I see someone like that lol. that feeling is definatly normal. You are on the lookout now and you are scared. And that is totally normal.

I have a van and I normally tend to watch who is parked next to me when I come out of a store or whatever, if I have a van on one side of me that I cannot see into, I get in the other side of my van. And I always look into my own van before getting in as well, incase someone has gotten in and is waiting inside. There have been many reports about people breaking into peoples cars and waiting for them to come out of the store to hyjack them etc..... Also about how women especially, if there is a van next to you, you can't see in, there is that possibility of someone in that van waiting to open his door and suck you in. So I am very cautious about those things and you should be too. My kids are my world, so I look out for there safety even more then my own. When you have kids, if you choose to, you will know what I mean, the second that child is born, sometimes even before.

Glad you got some sleep and feel even a little better. Each day will get better hopefully. good luck and god bless

Babarooskie Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm
post #23 of 24

Thank you so much everyone =)

I was debating on going to school yesterday to catch up on some sleep, but then I thought, "Hmmm...home alone for 2 hours....and I know I won't be able to sleep anyway..." so I ended up going to school.

Hubby had to work early morning shift today (4 am- 2pm) so I was a little worried, but I made it through. Oh, and did I mention I now have another dog in the house. Four dogs total.. lol... and I'm still scared.

Anybody smell a chicken? icon_lol.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:12am
post #24 of 24

My niece had this happen to her home this xmas eve. In the midst of opening presents we got the phone call from the alarm company. Thankfully she had an alarm system and they didn't get anything but the windows and the door were all busted where they used a crowbar or something.Last time (different address) she wasn't so lucky and they got ALL her jewelry and kids Wii etc. Which is why she moved to a "better" neighborhood...it happens everywhere.

Just know that thieves really don't want you home when they break in. They want empty homes so when you are there I'd just try to find a way to make more known someone is home, like light on or tv on or something. As a matter of fact when leave the house we always leave a TV on. My nieces husband hadn't done that Xmas eve.

I'm sorry you had this happen, it sucks BIGTIME!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%