How Do I Clean Up Smeared Luster Dust On White Fondant?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 1:43am by drakegore

drakegore Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 9

making a very small topper and with fine gold and silver lines on stark white fondant.
i smeared them @%!^^%@. i can fix the lines, but how do i clean up the smeared areas?

i tried crisco on a q-tip, but not much luck.

hours of work are going down the drain unless i can get rid of the smudges.

help please!
thank you,
diane

8 replies
alene Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 9

I'd try using your Qtip and vanilla flavoring, better yet if you have some vodka handy.

sadsmile Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 9

I used a wet brush and wiped in on a wet paper towel and kept going over it to lift off the dust. A fine tip brush can really get close up to other work and not mess it up. Q-tips are great too and in larger areas a moistened viva towel.

drakegore Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 9

i forgot to mention that the fondant is hardened. do you think that will make a difference?

if it does, do you think painting over the smear with super-white would be a last-ditch solution?

thank you!

_Jamie_ Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

i forgot to mention that the fondant is hardened. do you think that will make a difference?

if it does, do you think painting over the smear with super-white would be a last-ditch solution?

thank you!

Even better! Not the super white, but that it is dried. Use some Vodka!

drakegore Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 9

ok, just got back from the liquor store with a mini-bottle of "serious" vodka and i am going to try and fix the mess i made!
thank you all!

how do people work with this stuff in large quantities and not get smears?

Kellbella Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 9

A little cornstarch maybe? It might help cover/remove.

_Jamie_ Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 9

I dust stuff before I put it on the cake, if I can't do that, it's a very careful process. Think in terms of painting a room. You put drop cloths where you don't want paint to drip, and you mask areas you are painting right up to. Same thing, I use paper towels, or kleenex, or regular paper.

drakegore Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:43am
post #9 of 9

vodka and a small paint brush did the trick! yeah!!!!
thank you again!
diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%