Red Food Coloring????

Decorating By JGMB Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 7:34pm by saapena

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 5

I was going to buy the ingredients today for a Red Velvet Cake (my first ever) and was shocked that the red coloring was $3.59 for a 1-ounce bottle. Does that sound right to you???!!!

The cake is for a dear woman in our church choir who's turning 80. I said I'd make a cake for the whole choir, and she said she liked red velvet. By my calculations, that will be $28.72 just for the red food coloring!!

Any suggestions other than telling her she can't have her favorite cake?

4 replies
saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 5

Go to GFS (Gordon Food Service). I paid approximately $13 for a 32 ounce bottle of red food coloring there; granted, more than I wanted to spend but way cheaper than a grocery store. I made red velvet for Christmas and am doing my friend's daughter's wedding cake and she wants red velvet so I figured I may as well get the big bottle and be done with it. I think there is one in Aurora, so it shouldn't be too bad of a drive.

HTH

Sheryl

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 5

You could always do a red velvet wasc cake and just add a little red coloring.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the responses!! Sheryl, that works out to 41 cents an ounce, which is much better than the $3.59!!!

I checked, and there's a GFS in Villa Park, too. I think I'll make a trip there once the snow has subsided!! Thanks again. icon_razz.gif

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 5

Glad I could help for a change--lol. I visit the GFS in Villa Park also. It is a neat store--I could spend a couple hours just walking around and looking at everything. I only wish they carried hi-ratio shortening. I will have to ask them about that next time I am there.

Have a great day!

Sheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%