Banana Cake Filling?

Baking By doublecz1103 Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 8:01pm by doublecz1103

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 17

Does anyone have a good recipe for a banana cake filling? Someone requested it in a wedding cake. I'm not having much luck searching online..

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 17

I use regular bc with banana creme flavoring, or Lorann banana.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 17

You can do a chocolate or strwberry filling; if you're torting maybe you can do both, they both compliment bananas.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 17

Banana filling or banana cake with filling? I like to fill my banana cakes with Twinkie filling. If it's banana flavored filling you need, I'd add banana flavoring to buttercream.

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 17

what about a sleeve of banana filling some cake shop sells them. Just google the internet for fruit fillings

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 17

if you're looking for banana filling, this one is great. I don't use it as an icing, it's too chunky for me but it makes a fantastic filling. I usually add a little sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice to it as well.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2214/banana-icing

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckckhome

what about a sleeve of banana filling some cake shop sells them. Just google the internet for fruit fillings

this is what I use.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

if you're looking for banana filling, this one is great. I don't use it as an icing, it's too chunky for me but it makes a fantastic filling. I usually add a little sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice to it as well.

How far in advance can you make this? Do the bananas get mushy after a few days? I'm sure that the lemon helps to preserve it. Do you have to keep it in the fridge? Sorry for all the questions, but DH just loves banana anything!

stephaniescakenj Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

How far in advance can you make this? Do the bananas get mushy after a few days? I'm sure that the lemon helps to preserve it. Do you have to keep it in the fridge? Sorry for all the questions, but DH just loves banana anything!

I'm not sure to be honest, I usually make it the day before the cake is due. I had leftovers the first time I made it that I put on some banana cupcakes and they were fine for I think 2 or 3 days. I forget, I made it on a friday and they were gone by either Sunday or Monday and I left it out on the counter for the entire time. For a customer, I always refrigerate it and only make it the day before. All the sugar sort of preserves the bananas, it doesn't turn brown and gross like a whole banana would.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 17

if torting the cake a layer of chocolate gnache and a layer of peanut butter buttercream would be great

fluff buttercream or twinky filling would be yummy

doublecz1103 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 1:40am
post #11 of 17

sorry i wasn't clear.. i meant a banana filling. the couple originally asked for banana, strawberry, and raspberry to be put inside, but i think that's too much and won't work well together. then they wanted a bavarian cream with the fruit.. i'm not really sure where to go with this one. the cake is just going to be vanilla w/ vanilla buttercream and fondant.. any other suggestions on how to incorporate

stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #12 of 17

bananas, strawberries and bavarian cream is really good actually. I didn't think it would be that great but I had a friends mother that insisted on vanilla cake, with a layer of cream and sliced strawberries and then another layer of cream with sliced bananas and then iced in whipped cream. It was really good. I would nix the raspberries though.

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:07am
post #13 of 17

I have done the costco filling in banana cake and used banana pudding in it. So, it's like a banana mousse...very good! Sometimes I even slice strawberries on this, very good also.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:23am
post #14 of 17

I just had someone ask about a banana flavored cake with chocolate chips. Sounds like a weird combo to me but I guess some like it.

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #15 of 17

Here's a really tasty but simple version that I've tried:

7oz Marshmallow Fluff
1 package Banana Instant Jello Pudding Mix
1/3 C Milk

Make the instant pudding according to package directions, but with 1/3 C milk instead of the full amount required (add more in small increments if needed)

Use a mixer to combine the banana pudding with the marshmallow fluff.

It thickens some once placed in the refrigerator, and is a really nice consistency.

It also mixes nicely with strawberry filling to create a really yummy strawberry-banana split!!!

HTH,

Kim

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:18am
post #16 of 17

i keep meaning to post this in recipes, it's the most delicious banana filling i've ever had - and it's incredibly simple! i found it years ago posted by Kim La but i actually just saw the same one posted somewhere else with no credit given. anyway, here it is:

Creamy Banana Filling

3/4 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
3 tbsp butter

Cook above over medium heat. Stir constantly until thick 12-17mins. Add 1 mashed banana or 1/4 cup (I add at least double that), 3/4 cup chopped nuts (never used the nuts) and 1 tsp vanilla. Cool stirring occasionally until of spreading consistency.

doublecz1103 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:01pm
post #17 of 17

thanks for all your help!! i'm gonna do some test runs and then see what the bride and groom think..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%