Please Help Asap! Meringue Taste Like Straight Butter! Why?

Baking By scrabblemomof1 Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 4:53am by _Jamie_

scrabblemomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrabblemomof1 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #1 of 6

I used Martha Stewart's recipe for Swiss Meringue. I followed the recipe to the letter but to me it taste like straight butter! The recipe calls for 2.5cups of sugar, 10 egg whites, 8 sticks of butter and 2tsp of vanilla extract.

I need a quick fix. I already iced a sheet cake with it! Please help asap.

Michelle icon_cry.gif

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:45am
post #2 of 6

Did you use salted butter or unsalted butter? Unsalted butter doesn't overwhelm meringue icings with butter flavor. That being said, ALL meringue buttercreams are very buttery compared to the super sweet butter/shortening+PS icings. Try adding more vanilla and even a little almond extract.

scrabblemomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrabblemomof1 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:02am
post #3 of 6

oh no! I'm pretty sure I used salted butter. I'm not sure if i've ever tasted it before on cakes or cupcakes so I didn't know it has a buttery flavor anyway. I guess I can add more extract to what's left over but I already iced the cake. That sucks!

Thanks for the fast reply! I love CC for this reason.
Like the city... it never sleeps.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:20am
post #4 of 6

Don't worry! It will be fine. I made that mistake the first time I made IMBC, but with the cake it still tasted really good. Of course, then, I'm like Julia Child in that I adore butter. I could eat good butter by itself.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #5 of 6

Did you use unsalted butter?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:53am
post #6 of 6

Way too much butter. I use SMBC exclusively. The recipe I use, seen here: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations calls for much less butter, and is simply divine. Must. Use. Unsalted. Butter. Always.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%