Sock Monkey Fabric? How Would I Do That?

Decorating By MandaBrizown Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 3:43am by MandaBrizown

MandaBrizown  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaBrizown Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a sock monkey cake. They want it to look like a real sock monkey. I have no idea how to make it look like the gray/white fabric. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
 Mug-a-Bug  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:17am
post #2 of 6

I haven't tried it, BUT if it were me I would try pressing woven fabric (maybe interfacing) into the buttercream or fondant. Good luck, can't wait to see the picture of that one! thumbs_up.gif

whit6  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 6

Wow thats a tough one! Its like a mix of brown and white lines...hmmm...let me think on it but im not sure ill be much help. Im curious to see what other come up with!

tiggy2  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:27am
post #4 of 6

Elisa Strauss of Confetti Cakes makes them. Try going to her website and contacting her.

tinygoose  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 6

I took a class with Bronwen Weber and we used a new plastic mesh scouring pad like (see link) to make pants look more realistic.

http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/641820.html

MandaBrizown  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaBrizown Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:43am
post #6 of 6

Well I did like tinygoose said and bought a new plastic scouring pad. I pressed it into the fondant. It made a great pattern for the fabric. Then I dry brushed black over the top and it looked great. Now as far as the whole sock monkey goes it wasn't that cute. I think its because I think sock monkeys are ugly. I didn't get a chance to take a pic but I am supposed to get one from the family. I will post later if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%