Sock Monkey Fabric? How Would I Do That?

Decorating By MandaBrizown Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 3:43am by MandaBrizown

MandaBrizown Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a sock monkey cake. They want it to look like a real sock monkey. I have no idea how to make it look like the gray/white fabric. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
Mug-a-Bug Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:17am
post #2 of 6

I haven't tried it, BUT if it were me I would try pressing woven fabric (maybe interfacing) into the buttercream or fondant. Good luck, can't wait to see the picture of that one! thumbs_up.gif

whit6 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 6

Wow thats a tough one! Its like a mix of brown and white lines...hmmm...let me think on it but im not sure ill be much help. Im curious to see what other come up with!

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:27am
post #4 of 6

Elisa Strauss of Confetti Cakes makes them. Try going to her website and contacting her.

tinygoose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 6

I took a class with Bronwen Weber and we used a new plastic mesh scouring pad like (see link) to make pants look more realistic.

MandaBrizown Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:43am
post #6 of 6

Well I did like tinygoose said and bought a new plastic scouring pad. I pressed it into the fondant. It made a great pattern for the fabric. Then I dry brushed black over the top and it looked great. Now as far as the whole sock monkey goes it wasn't that cute. I think its because I think sock monkeys are ugly. I didn't get a chance to take a pic but I am supposed to get one from the family. I will post later if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%