Helmet Cake

Decorating By mermaidontop Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 12:31am by KittisKakes

mermaidontop Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 3

Im making a football helmet cake this Saturday and have never done one before, wondered if anyone has tips on making the face guard. Make it a few days early with gum paste? How do i make it the exact width of the helmet? Any help is appreciated!

2 replies
wasabi106 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:15am
post #2 of 3

I am sure there are many ways to make a face mask. I have made 2 helmet cakes what did is find something similar in size to the size of your helmet. My helmet was big, but the same size as my son's actual football helmet.

I used 3- 10 in and one bowl (I used a 10 pryex bowl) If you use smaller pans (like maybe a 6 or in) I am sure the wilton ball pan would work.

I have heard some people use a coffee can for a support for the facemask, I used a cardboard concrete post form (hardware store, cheap) it just happened to be the right size. Cut part of it off so that it is not a complete tube. It will late flat and you can have the curve up. Does that make sense?

I drew an out line of what I wanted my mask to look like on the cardboard tube. Placed parchment paper over it. (I hope this would make it more food safe, while I could still see through it to see my outline.
Then I made long ropes of 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix. I used 3 long ropes.

Drape the ropes over your support tube along your outline.

Let it dry for several days and attach to you cake.

My second cake I added 26 gauge floral wire to my ropes. I just made a little fondant hot dog, added my length of wire and then rolled the rope out while I guided it down the wire. I did this because on my first cake the fondant dried so stiff it didn't really have any flex. When I put it on the cake it crumbled. Leaving me only an hour to scramble and make a second one that was not as good. The cake was for my son and nobody really wanted to eat the mask so they didn't mind the wire. Besides you put wooden dowels in for support.

The top bit of the mask I added the day I made the cake and attatched it with royal icing. It doesn't protrude as far so my support would work for it.

Anyway as I said there are probable many ways to make a good mask, but I hope this helps. I am just a newbie mom who does this for fun. Good luck!! This is my helmet cake, the one that didn't crumble icon_wink.gif

Oops, forgot to add my cake http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1461411

KittisKakes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:31am
post #3 of 3

Like wasabi said, I think there are lost of ways to do the face mask. I posted some pics on how I made mine. It's really basic, but it's a good start and you can add as many details as you need to.

Just scroll down the 1st page and you'll see the pics. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%