New Wilton "gold" Pans

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 1:13am by mamawrobin

Lcubed82 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 26

I got an email from Wilton today promoting these.

I'll be interested in reviews![/url]

25 replies
MomLittr Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 26

I was wondering the same thing. Prices seem to be not too much more than their regular pans. Next time I am in craft store, will have to check one out as far as feel and weight.

_Jamie_ Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 26

Yes, but are they absolutely straight edged? No flairing....hmmmm.

Deb_ Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 26

One thing I don't care for are the extended handles that take up valuable oven space when baking multiple pans at once. That's odd.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 26

Meh. I'm with Jaime and dkellly. If I'm gonna drop the money on new pans, I'd rather they be straight edged. It's just that much less cake that I have to carve off the sides to get a flat edge.

millermom Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:10am
post #6 of 26
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Yes, but are they absolutely straight edged? No flairing....hmmmm.

Didn't look like it from the email I received icon_confused.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:18am
post #7 of 26

I've seen Wilton pans at Ross that had the handles like that. They were gray instead of gold I think, so they might not be the same, but they were all nested in each other which would mean the edges were flared.

frankdiabetes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #8 of 26

They sort of look like the Williams Sonoma GoldTouch pans. I have a 9x13" one of those and I really like it.

leah_s Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #9 of 26

Well, I wouldn't buy them simply because they're from the big W, but those handles are a non-starter for me. Takes up space in storage and the oven. Dumb.

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:59am
post #10 of 26

Edges didn't look straight to me and they were pricey. I'd rather spend my money on magic line.

artscallion Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:02am
post #11 of 26

Big handles and flared sides? Don't these Wilton people know anyone in the cake making supply business that can guide them? Hey, wait a minute... icon_rolleyes.gif

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:17am
post #12 of 26

Definitely not for a regular baker...looks more like what you'd use to make brownies or a sheet cake (left in the pan, just the top iced) for school or church functions, potluck, etc or just your family. Does not look like its made for the commercial baker at all.

MissLisa Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:32am
post #13 of 26

I'll let ya know if I get an answer. I emailed them at their Customer Service Info address.

Te info posted about the new line states "Every Wilton UltraGold pan was designed with features that provide the perfect baking results decorators demand"

Well now, if they don't have straight sides maybe we ought to let them know exactly what we as decorators demand!

Lynn929 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:48am
post #14 of 26

Only Fat Daddios for me. I am sold on these pans.Will never go back to Wilton sheet cake pans.

tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:53am
post #15 of 26

I have one Fat Daddios and I don't care for it. I'll stick with Magic Line.

splash2splat Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:10am
post #16 of 26

I'm with the others Fat Daddios all the way =-)

misserica Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:30am
post #17 of 26

I bought a single Fat Daddios a few months back and loved so I recently bought the nesting set for sheets. Used them yesterday, love them. No experience with Magic Line but have purchased some other pans from Macys, and a few others, like the Fat Daddios the best so far!

tenleysmommy Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:42am
post #18 of 26

Magic Line alll the way!Never realized how bad my wilton pans sucked until I started using Magic Line,have some Fat Daddios too but Magic line beats them as well!

MissLisa Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm
post #19 of 26

I received the following reply from Wilton:

"Thank you for contacting Wilton!
The Ultra Gold pans are slightly angled.
Happy Baking!"

Not sure which bakers they consulted with, but those folks apparently think it's ok to have angled sides on their pans.

_Jamie_ Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #20 of 26

WTH is the piont of purposefully making angled pans???? They had a chnace to change that! Why???

MomLittr Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #21 of 26

You know, the more I see Wilton products, I realize they are not for the serious baker who does this for a living (as proven with angled sided pans again).....these are for the home cook who is just a little more into baking and decorating than most. I agree with all of you though, why didn't they ask folks who do this for a living, and model pans after their recommendations.......Wilton will never learn.

JanH Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:09am
post #22 of 26

To expand on what MomLittr said...

Wilton doesn't target professional bakers/decorators, their focus is mass merchandising to serious/not so serious hobby bakers. They make their money on volume of sales, because they're offered at all the Michaels, Hobby Lobbys and Wal-Marts across the U.S. (Otherwise, they wouldn't allow all their products to be discounted so heavily on a regular basis.)

I like Wilton for what it is.. a company that offers a wide variety of entry/mid-level cake baking/making products with (mostly) great customer support. Their online sites offer tons of help for using practically all the products they sell, which is a big deal to non-professionals. Of course, they also offer products for making candy, etc. and tons of accessories (that you never knew you needed).

And I must say, Wilton spends a lot on researching/starting trends - the newest being the "brownie" fad. And the Wilton yearbooks and other decorating books have been an industry staple for years. I'm sure thousands of brides have picked their wedding cakes from these magazines over the years.

All in all, Wilton might not be professional quality - but if it weren't for Wilton (cake decorating classes or products) I'm sure a lot of professional bakers/decorators would never have been introducted to the wonderful world of "caking."

P.S. When Wilton advertises "decorator" preferred, I don't assume they mean "professional decorator" but the decorator who knows that the cake pans sold at the grocery store aren't top of the line.

Donnawb Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #23 of 26

Does anyone know where I can get Fat Diddios or Magic Line pans in California, in th Central Valley? I live in a small town and only have access to Wilton products in my town. I know I can order these things from the internet, but I would like to look at them and feel them before purchasing.

mommy_erin Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:15am
post #24 of 26
Originally Posted by Donnawb

Does anyone know where I can get Fat Diddios or Magic Line pans in California, in th Central Valley? I live in a small town and only have access to Wilton products in my town. I know I can order these things from the internet, but I would like to look at them and feel them before purchasing.

There is a restaurant supply in Sacramento that would probably carry them. I don't know where in the Central Valley you are, that's a pretty big range icon_smile.gif I don't have these pans but if I were to look this is where I would go:

It says they have one in Fresno too, so I guess that should pretty much cover both ends of the central valley!

nicovale Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #25 of 26

there is a place in fresno that sells magic line. Creative cakes and more, on Ashlan ave. west of Willow.

mamawrobin Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:13am
post #26 of 26

I saw these new gold pans while shopping at Hobby Lobby yesterday. No they do not have a straight edge. If I were buying new pans I would NOT buy these.

Quote by @%username% on %date%