Ball Cakes?

Decorating By joyfarm Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm by BizzyK

joyfarm Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I'm trying to make small ball cakes, but to do so without buying a ball making pan. My idea is to make the cake batter and use a little extra leavening. I have 1 cup prep bowls, so will use those to bake in. I want the tops to be very round. It isn't necessary that they be totally round, but it would be nice.

If I wanted to make flat cakes you know they'd cook round on top, but now that I want round on top I want them to bake very round and not to fall. Any suggestions?

2 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 3

I've made my own 1/2 mini ball pans by molding heavy duty foil around a ball and placing each pan in a muffin tin to bake. Works fine for me and it's how I do my Christmas Ornament Cupcakes without buying a bunch of new pans.
Just put 2 halfs together and you have a whole ball.

BizzyK Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 3

I saw where you can take a layer cake and trim it to be two half rounds by placing a guide in front and back of the cake and cutting the curve. place the cake in front of you place a half circle template on the table in front of you curve side towards the ceiling and use your knife to follow the curve of the template. when your done put the 2 sides together to form a ball.

Quote by @%username% on %date%