Help! Why Is It So Hard To Make Black Gumpaste?

Decorating By luv2bcre8f Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm by icer101

luv2bcre8f Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 9

I've tried buying ready made (Wilton) gumpaste, and coloring it, as well as homemade gumpaste recipes, and they all turn crumbly. I've been able to smooth it out a little with a couple drops of glycerine, but then it's a lot weaker and doesn't dry as hard. Making legs for figures is impossible! Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a black gumpaste out there that works well?

8 replies
dsilvest Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 9

Black is a diffficult colour to make. Either start out will premade black and add some Gumtex or tylose or start with chocolate fondant, add black colouring and then the Gumtex or tylose. Too much food colouring will change the consistancy of the fondant and it is often difficult to fix.

dsilvest Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 9

You might try using tooth picks as a centre core for the figure legs.

Win Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 9

I've only used small bits of black gumpaste as accents -no huge projects in black gumpaste, but I've never had the problems you describe. As well, and like you, I use nothing but the Wilton premade. Hmm... maybe you could take it to grey then paint the rest of it with black? You mention it being legs, that might work, but will take a bit more of drying time as it will be sticky. Paint with either vodka or lemon extract and black color mixed. Probably not much help... icon_sad.gif

luv2bcre8f Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 9

That's exactly what i ended up doing this project.....taking it to grey and painting it black. but I'm sure there must be a way to create a good black fondant. Do the powdered colors work better than the gels perhaps?

LateBloomer Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 9

This will probably not be much help but in South Africa we get concentrated powder colours. When I make red or black I start with the gel then go onto the powder concentrate. For figures I use dry pasta and not toothpics. I have grandchildren who love eating 'people and fairies' mostly to see me squirm!

sarahd Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 9

I had the same problem with the Wilton black and I was told to try the AmeiColor super black gel paste. It works great and is available from Global Sugar Art.

Win Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bcre8f

That's exactly what i ended up doing this project.....taking it to grey and painting it black. but I'm sure there must be a way to create a good black fondant. Do the powdered colors work better than the gels perhaps?

In the first post, you mentioned black gumpaste... in this you state black fondant. I'm confused. Black fondant is, by far, best when purchased. I use Satin Ice. Otherwise, yes, powders are far more concentrated, but I do find that they dry out gumpaste. Crystal Colors are the best.

icer101 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 9

anytime i color red or black gumpaste or fondant.. i use a lot to start with.. knead it .. yes, it gets sticky.. i lay it down on paper towel.. wash my hands good.. and put a little shortening AGAIN.. add more color if needed.. knead some. lay it down again on paper towel.. wash my hands again. and reuse the shorteing again. it works great this way for me.. in my pic.. the tropical cake. i use neon green .. i colored alot.. i had no choice.. it was by americolor.. it went pretty good . as i had to color a lot.. if i had needed it to be stonger... i would have added tylose.. hth if i need to cover a cake with black fondant.. i would buy satin ice.. or if i needed to cover a cake with red fonant.. i would buy satin ice.. the directions at the beginning.. after it sets up for a while or overnite. it firms up enough to work with.. in that tropical cake. i cut individual panels and dried over wilton dowels.. i did not have any problems of it drying at all...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%