Pastillage? Help

Decorating By Ritakk Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm by Ritakk

Ritakk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritakk Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 22

I just ran across Pastillage! I am wanting to make the baby booties, and converse shoes here on CC. I have never worked with it before. Question there are a couple recipes here on CC for it. One recipe has basic ingredients that I have at home... I am wanting to know if you have used this recipe and how you like it. Can the booties, and shoes I want to make be made of this pastillage? Or should I make a clay shoe first then apply the Pastillage over and use it as a mold? Help me please I can't get to the forums where they talk about this don't know why, but if there is a forum question already asked please post the link so I can get to it. TY very much!
Rita

21 replies
Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 22

I have found that working with Pastillage that it drys very quickly and if you don't work fast enough it can crack and develop an elephant skin. It does dry rock hard, so the shoes can be kept. I normally make boxes out of it for customers who want something a little special or to put a piece of jewelry in as a surprise. For the shoes...don't know but I wish you the best of luck with it!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 22

I made my booties out of gum paste and they worked just fine.

Ritakk Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 22

Tiggy2, How thick did you roll your fondant for the booties? Have you worked with Pastillage before? Did you like it?

Shannie13 - When you say dries very quickly, how quickly are we talking? If I cut out my patterns one piece at a time and work with them, shouldn't it work if I have a dummy model to put the pastillage on and shape it?

I think I will try both ways. I like the idea of her saving the booties if they come out nice.... thanks.
Rita

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 22

I rolled them about 1/8" (used the rings that come on the small wilton roller). I've never used Pastillage.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 22

When I rolled the pastillage out it was starting to get hard within 5 minutes. I also had to keep it from being exposed to air as it develops hard pieces in it. One good thing about it is if you notice it starting to get hard you can throw it in the microwave at 5 second intervals and it will soften again. If you can half the batch and give it a shot, I say go for it. I have made gumpaste shoes as well and they are just as adorable and my mother has them in her dining room with her good dishes. I think with anything it is a trial and error process. If it isn't needed right away give it a shot...otherwise I would use the sure fire thing.

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 22

As far as I know pastillage could be used only for simple shape, as they dry so quick.
I have made the castle wall, half egg shell, plaque from it, also chalice (but the one from gumpaste/fondant mix shaped better).
I would love to hear the result of the trial, it would be interesting if we could make complicated ones from pastillage.

chleonard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chleonard Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:09am
post #8 of 22

I have made booties out of pastillage and out of gumpaste. The pastillage does dry super quickly, so you do have to work quickly. I cut the pattern out with a sharp knife and then starting forming the booties right away.
Personally, i like making booties with gumpaste better. since it dries slower you can fuss a bit more to make the bootie look right.
the pastillage worked great making a baby carriage (more squarish structure) but for something curved like a bootie, i prefer gumpaste.

Good luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #9 of 22

i love working with pastialage... my ace of cake ... cake.. all the people are pastialage.. the tables.. etc... i learned to work with it about 12 yrs. ago..with a lady named mercedes strachwsky.. she is a great teacher.. and i make her recipe.. the country wedding is pastiallage people..

Ritakk Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 22

LOL! Guess what I did? Here is the Tennis Shoe I made with the Pastillage! I really like the way it looks distressed and all! The baby booties (all blue) were done with MMF. So Which ones would you put on the baby shower cake? I Made the tennis shoe one piece at a time and place on dough mold. Molded and let dry. Then I hotglued all the pieces together. There are no bottom soles for the tennis shoes. I really like working with it, but yes it does dry really fast! Sometimes I like it to dry fast though.!
LL
LL

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 22

Just made my booties yesterday and they are pretty hard already and I used straight up wilton's fondant. Was gonna add tylose but wanted to try them w/ fondant first. Here is a link to them if you want to see:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1552344

Ritakk Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 22

Chippi! How gorgeous are those?! OMG! So how hard were they to make?
Fill me in please! icon_smile.gif
Rita

Chippi Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:38pm
post #13 of 22

They were not hard at all. I was a lil intimidated at first but dug right in. I used a template that was here on CC. Try and post a link at the end. Rolled my fondant out, cut out the template, used tylose and water for glue, followed instructions on the template, added my own emblishments and super pearl luster dust. HTH's.

Kathy

Chippi Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm
post #14 of 22

Oops! here is the template that I used by grannys3angels:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=574533

Ritakk Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #15 of 22

Thank you for sharing! I wish this baby was a girl, but she's having a boy! icon_wink.gif
I definately will be making these sometime though!
Rita

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 22

what is the difference between pastillage and gum paste?

Chippi Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:10am
post #17 of 22

Pastillage is made with Royal icing.

Chippi Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:14am
post #18 of 22

Gumpaste recipes also vary extensively but typically involve gum tragacanth. The dough is very elastic and soft more so than pastillage. Gumpaste can be rolled out thinner than pastillage, as thin as parchment, and it makes lovely flowers and petals. It can be worked longer than pastillage--meaning it is a little more forgiving, you can take longer to do what you want to do with gumpaste before it crusts than you can with pastillage. With pastillage, you have to work very quickly, make your cuts and shape it as quickly as possible. Both will hold up fairly well in humidity, but gumpaste will take on moisture more readily from the environment and other sources (such as buttercream). It is never as sturdy as pastillage. I had just read a recipe using Royal icing so not sure if it is the number one way of making it. HTH's

Chippi Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:16am
post #19 of 22

Here is where I got the prior information. Really helpful read for pastillage. GL

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/69493-demo-intro-to-pastillage/

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:36am
post #20 of 22

wow thanks for all the info chippi!

Chippi Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:43am
post #21 of 22

anytime! icon_smile.gif

Ritakk Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks for the information! I have made 2 pair of shoes so far with the pistallage. My tylose is on the way to make the othe kind of paste and will try that as well!
Thanks again,
Rita

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%