Cake Sampling Party

Decorating By babydeer115 Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 10:50pm by Sunshine0063

babydeer115 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 5

I never gave it much thought about making and decorating cakes, until I talked with a friend who does it for a living and she inspired me. I must say in the last 4 months I have been taking the class's I LOVE IT! Which benefits me a lot, I have a baby I get to stay home with while making a few extra bucks on the side.

I didn't grow up in a home where my mother baked, actually she barely cooked. As of right now I don't really have any one to go to for advice on baking so I turned to my cook books. I found this one recipe for a yellow cake that is really good, but besides that I have been using the grand old box mixes. I feel like when people are asking me to make them cakes not only do they want them to look awesome but taste great. So this was my idea...

I was going to have a 'cake sampling party' which I will make a whole bunch of different cakes, icing, and fillings and have everyone one over that I know to try them. Now the biggest reason for this would be to see what is a hit and a miss. I am hoping to try things I have never tried before and to see what are the choices I can offer to people who come to me for a cake.

This is were I would like some advice, I was going to do it with a Valentine's Day theme, also I was thinking about having different stations set up all over the down stairs of my home with different set ups and varieties.

I will need to come up with feedback cards for my guests to leave anonymous comments, both good and bad. I was wondering what I should have on the comment cards, should I leave them blank? Or should I have ratings on them? Anyone have any ideas for me?

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to read and hopefully reply to my post icon_smile.gif

4 replies
jodibug0975 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 5

Sounds expensive to me.... but it if it something that you want to do for your friends then go for it!

HarleyDee Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 5

Are you going to make like, 8" cakes and have to cut small slices from each one, or will you be making lots of mini cupcakes?

Definitely have a spot on your comment card asking what their favorite combination is.

babydeer115 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 5

This is what I was going to do... I am planning on making an 8" cake and cutting it in half, fill one half with one filling and the other with a different one, I was thinking about doing the cupcakes but I thought I would end up with so many! But I also saw online that you can cut the cake into little squares and have the fillings and icings in bowls and the guests can combine and try what they would like to put together. I kinda feel silly posting this, I just want to make sure that the cakes I make are good, and that people aren't telling me they are to be nice.. icon_smile.gif

Sunshine0063 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 5

I would leave comment cards at each cake, rate 1 thru 10. ( 1 I don't like it, 10 best I've ever tasted ) and a comment space so they can say what they like or don't like about the cake and any suggestion they may have. Ask that they please leave a comment not just rate with a number.

Quote by @%username% on %date%