Can I Freeze A Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By bstajcic Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 7:35am by MacsMom

bstajcic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bstajcic Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:35am
post #1 of 4

It seems i have signed myself up for too many cakes in one weekend. Does anyone know if i can freeze a fondant covered cake so that i can make one through the week.
I thought if i could make the basic mudd cakes and cover them with buttercream and fondant and freeze them, then i could whip them out the night before they are due and do the final decorations.

HAS ANYONE FROZEN A CAKE THIS WAY BEFORE? WERE THEY OK AFTER DEFROSTING?

3 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:40am
post #2 of 4

I have but I can't recommend it. When it thawed out it looked great till I tried to stack it...then it was too soft and sorta sank a bit. So while it tasted great and looked ok, I don't think I'd do it again.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:47am
post #3 of 4

Depends on the fondant you use. icon_smile.gif

Satin Ice states that a cake covered with their product can be either refrigerated or frozen:

http://www.rolledfondant.com/how_info.htm

Pettinice is also freeze/thaw stable:

http://www.nzbakels.co.nz/products/product_info.cfm?product=4228

Choco-pan can also be refrigerated/frozen:
Google freeze choco-pan

If you want to know how your fondant will react, just freeze and then thaw a portion. (Usually, having a fan directed at the cake will take care of any condensation issues without leaving marks - as long as you don't touch the cake.)

HTH

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:35am
post #4 of 4

Not only have I done it, but I had a girls night out in December where I had my friends decorate their own cakes and instructed everyone to freeze them to save for Christmas.

I have never had a problem with it, and neither did any of my friends.

The key element is letting it thaw in the fridge overnight before bringing it to room temp, and do not wrap the cake or the wrapping wil leave marks on the fondant as it thaws. I work solely with MMF now, but I have frozen both SI and Fondarific before with the exact same flawless results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%