Underside Of Cake Boards On Floating Tier Cake

Decorating By kimberlychapman Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 6:13am by JanH

kimberlychapman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlychapman Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:05am
post #1 of 2

Maybe I'm just too obsessed with detail, but I think I should do *something* with the undersides of the MDF cakeboards for my show cake. They will be somewhat visible since the tiers "float" on poles above each other.

I've been paying attention to Food Network Challenges and similar cake shows and unless they're going for a weird effect like an upside-down-look cake, they all leave the undersides of the boards plain. So I guess that's allowed and all, but still...

I know I could wrap with foil, but that seems a bit chintzy, at least with regular foil and I don't have any of the fancy stuff and don't want to drive all the way up north to the cake shop to get some, since I don't have time. Hobby Lobby doesn't carry it, do they?

I tried an experiment to see if I could use gel colour on the board, but no, it stains lightly but doesn't colour (that bit will be under the dummy/cake so no worries).

I'm sure painting with acrylics is way out of the food safe field, but ooo they'd look lovely all black...

Anyone have any fab ideas for covering the undersides of boards? Or am I just being silly?

1 reply
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:13am
post #2 of 2

..moving to Cake Ideas forum. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%