Central Florida - Many Start Up Questions

Business By princesitarita Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm by lacie

princesitarita Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:39am
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone! I'm brand new to the community and loving it! I started a passion for cake decorating last May when I made a Bachelorette Cake for a friend's party. I also complete Courses 1 and 2 for the Wilton classes and beginning Course 3 at the end of this week. I'm a big girl on resources and wanted to know what resources everyone uses/d to start up and currently operate their businesses. Any information tailored uniquely to Central Florida would be great appreciated.

I'm looking for any references to further cake education...class on decorating and baking; running a succesful business; marketing; licensing and offices; associations to join/conferences to attend, etc. Anything and everything would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

4 replies
costumeczar Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not in Florida.. It's my understanding from other threads that you can't have a home business in Florida, so you might have to rent a space for a shop or for baking.

enchantedcreations Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 5

Hi and Welcome, you are going to love it here. I am in the same boat as you. I'm fairly new to this sight. Everyone has been very helpful. So much info can be found here. There are lots of classes to be found as well. The problem I've run into is, I usually find them after they are booked/filled. The org. ICES had some classes in Orlando this month, but I waited too long to sign up for those. Others are too far for me to get to as I work full time and haven't been able to take off. There is Cake Camp, which lots of people have raved about. And there is the Cake Cruise that was last month. Costumeczar is correct, you cannot bake out of your own kitchen and sell in the State of Florida, it's illegal. You must have a commercial kitchen. You can rent space and sell. It's very expensive. There's no profit in it for just a few cakes here and there. I just have fun with it. Hope you do to.....I guess I really didn't answer your questions, just wanted to welcome you!!

Donnagardner Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 5

You both should attend the Ices Mini Classes in Orlando next weekend. Go to flices.org for more information. There are still openings for most of these classes.

lacie Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 5

Hello,
It took me about a year and a half to find a place in Florida. I could not open my own shop and at the time had sporadic business.
I found a catering company that lets me use their kitchen for $50 per use for baking and $20 per use if I am just decorating. I get to use their tasting room for client meetings as well.
Some places to look to rent:
Catering companies
Churches
Local restaurants (not chin ones)
Or specialty bakery shops, ones that dont make cakes
kitchen co-ops

It isnt a cheap endeavor icon_sad.gif here is the breakdown:
You have to take the food managers class and get the cert $150 (every 5 years)
Get the kitchen you are using inspected by the department of agriculture and get your food permit $540 (per year) mine is wholesale and retail
Get an occupational license $100
City tax form $50
CPA to set up you business: corporation documents and tax id number $250 (this is on the low end as we know the guy, we got quotes ranging from $500- $1000)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%