How To Stack/support This Cake?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 12:25am by Renaejrk

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:02am
post #1 of 8

Please help me.....UGH! I am recreating this cake and I am using faux fruit which is larger than the actual real fruit. But I have no idea on how to stack the cake with the fruit staying on on the cakes. I have a plastic square set that the cakes sit on and you can buy the plastic dowels that you can cut for the height you need. I think the dowels are too close to the edge and the fruit will not sit there on the edge where the dowel is.

Any ideas????

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #2 of 8

..moving to Cake Ideas forum. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:56am
post #3 of 8

I would cut styrofoam to the size you need and cover in the Glad Press-n-Seal stuff to go in between the tiers. Still use dowels INSIDE the cakes for support. You could affix the faux fruit to the styrofoam with hot glue.

dtmc Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #4 of 8

so hot glue the fruit to the sides of the styrofoam...right? But how do I keep it from not toppling over? Because everything has to stand on each other. That is what is really worrying me.....

The boards on the picture look very thick, like plywood or real board covered in white paper.

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:45am
post #5 of 8

I am go to say that there is a hidden center support (or more) that is part of the cake stand. like attached to the thick cake plates under each tier.

rcsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcsen Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:32am
post #6 of 8

Man, I had to reproduce this same cake, and it was a hard one to figure out!

This is what I tried - sorry, this is a bit messy sketch, but it might help:

http://www3.telus.net/rcsen1/lemon_sketch.jpg

I used smaller round plastic plates under each board, that come with plastic dowels(also known as pillars).

I was using real fruit, so I tried hot gluing wooden dowels to the fruit as more support just in case.

You might not need to dowel the fruit if you arrange them at the wedding - they could just sit on top of the cake because the support is coming from the plastic dowels/pillars.

You might have to cut your plastic dowels longer to fit the bigger faux fruit, like at 7 inches instead of 6.

Maybe you could make the boards out of foamcore and cover the edge with white ribbon?

dtmc Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:13am
post #7 of 8

THANK YOU so much rcsen.

Your sketch helped me recreate this cake. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #8 of 8

This is so pretty! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%